Customizable direct drive extruder for E3D v6 hotend for Prusa i3 / Wilson / Geeetech
by gtcdma, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
- Dual extruder version!
- Prometheus v2 hotend support (untested, set "prometheus=true" in scad to generate proper STLs)
- Rearranged stl files
This is a simple compact mount for E3D v6 1.75mm hotend with direct extruder.
It was designed to have the following features:
- Minimal footprint to provide the largest possible print area in all dimensions.
- PTFE tube extends right to the extruder gear, as recommended by E3D.
- Flexible filament support
- Built entirely in OpenSCAD. Highly customizable and parametric.
- Can be configured for the parts YOU have: use any drive gear and any small bearing. Just set the proper dimensions in the header.
- Compatible with both standard "rework" X-carriage and Geeetech version.
- Multiple mounting holes for fans, sensors, lights, etc.
- Easy maintenance: hotend and extruder parts can be removed or replaced without disassembling the entire thing
Part list: (for single extruder)
- Some PTFE tube, if it didn't come with your hot end (2mm ID / 4mm OD)
- 2 x M3x40 screw
- 3 x M3x16 screw
- 2 x M3x20 screw
- 1 x M3x10 screw
- 1 x M3x5 flat head screw
- 1 x M3x12 or M4x12 or M5x12 screw (depending on bearing type)
- 1 x 4mm OD / 3mm ID / 12mm long brass tube (optional, can be disabled in config)
- 3 x M3 nut
- 2 x M3 washer
- M3 thumb nut for spring tensioning (or two nuts and a wide washer, or M5x10 internal hex bolt like in Geeetech MK8 extruder)
- MK8, MK7 or other drive gear
- any bearing with 3-5mm ID, 9-16mm OD and 3-5mm width (603, 623, 624, 625, MR104...)
- spring with 8-10mm diameter and 15-25mm length
- 5015s cooling fan for PLA
This is a work-in-progress. So far I've only tested it with 624 bearing and MK8 drive gear. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Download the zip file, open hotend_extruder_mount.scad and configure it for your gear, bearing, x-carriage and motor.
For dual extruder you need a dual base and two copies of each other item (left and right).
It's better to print the extruder parts with ABS or PETG, however I printed it with PLA (except fan duct) and don't have any melting or other problems so far.
Remove supports from the filament tip. Assemble as pictured. Bearing mounting screw is supposed to self-thread into the plastic. Carefully cut the PTFE tube with a sharp knife according to the shape of the plastic tip so it's as close to the gear and bearing as possible.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Customizable direct drive extruder for E3D v6 hotend for Prusa i3 / Wilson / Geeetech by gtcdma is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving gtcdma a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure gtcdma would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).