I have a pair of fencing foils with worn out wooden grips, so I decided to design a replacement. I can't print it yet, but maybe someone will find it useful.
The measurements are pretty rough, but I think the shape looks about right.
The preview from the .scad file looks really wrong despite my efforts to fix it, so I've included an .stl file as well.
I improved the .scad a lot. I originally designed the main part of the grip by stacking up ellipses and trying to loft them with
hull(), which I discovered OpenSCAD can't do. Since
hull() only works on 3D objects or on 2D objects that are in the same plane, they had to be extruded into cylinders first, but their height affected the result and offset the top edge slightly. The fix was a kludge, so I've now replaced them with spheres, which work much better. I've also left the rounded top and bottom because I don't think they'll be in the way, and they look nice. Also some improved measurements. Still haven't printed it.
And I finally figured out what was wrong with the display. I used a diameter instead of a radius, and for some reason it was rendering the same in my old version of OpenSCAD. Now fixed.