MendelMax 2.0 Fan Mount
by JohnSL, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Update 1-1-14: I've added a new version, Fan Mount 5, that has more of an angle, to point the fan more toward the tip. I've found this new angle provides better cooling.
Since I'm printing with PLA, cooling the part while printing is very important. I hadn't been happy with the cooling on my MendelMax 2.0, so I set out to find the best solution, starting with the front-mounted fan suggested by Makers Tool Works. The front-mounted fan worked OK.
At a suggestion of a friend, I next tried OhmEye's fan duct. This did a good job cooling the part right near the print head. It didn't, help as much when printing larger parts.
Next I tried two fans mounted on the sides, facing the nozzle. This was the least successful solution, as it didn't provide enough air near the nozzle.
Finally, I found OhmEye's new fan mounts, shown here: http://www.ohmeye.com/2013/new-mendelmax2-fan-mounts/. I didn't like his actual mounts, so I designed a new set.
And the set shown here works really well, better than any of the other approaches I tried.
You'll need the following:
- 2 24-V fans. I purchased these from Makers Tool Works, and they came with nice long cords
- 8 M3 nuts (or 4 if you use zip-ties to hold the fan to the bracket)
- 4 M3 x 25 screws (not needed if you use zip ties)
- 4 M3 x 10 screws (if you're using nylon washers) or 4 M3 x 8 screws without the washers
- 4 M3 (or #4) nylon washers
I chose to use nylon washers between the tops of the M3 x 10 screws so I wouldn't scratch the finish on the metal carrier piece, but you don't need these washers. Just use the shorter M3 screws if you choose not to use the wahsers.
- Using M3 screws and nuts, attach the mount to the X carriage
- User either long M3 screws and nuts, or zip ties to attach the fans to the mount
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
MendelMax 2.0 Fan Mount by JohnSL is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving JohnSL a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure JohnSL would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).