I just built a very nice SeeMeCNC Rostock Max v2 printer and wanted to create an universal turntable style filament spool holder that spins smoothly.
Aside from the printed parts all you need is 1 skateboard bearing.
I used this awesome thing to help with the design: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:193647
Enjoy! Let me know what you think.
cone base plate 100% all others 30%
1) Grab 1 skateboard bearing insert into filament spool base plate.
2) Remove the 1mm thick disk from both cones.
3) Glue/bond 1 cone and nut combo to cone base plate (there is no need to glue the nut into cone).
4) Insert cone assembly into skateboard bearing (press further in for desired spinning resistance)
6) Thread shaft into cone assembly.
7) Place filament spool on turntable.
8) Glue/bond the second nut into the second cone.
9) Thread the cone assembly on shaft.