Improved mount for the filament guide tube on the Replicator 2. Simply click it onto the original mount, no extra tools needed.
The original mount for the guide tube is very close to the casing and has several issues;
- The tube sometimes comes loose
- It's hard to quickly change filament, for example mid-print, because of the small tube opening
- Filament tends to jump off from full spools, wrapping around the spool axle
- Filament sometimes tangles itself, because the straw pulls it towards the sides
Inspired on some other existing things, combining all their benefits into one, I am trying to solve all these problems at once.
There are 2 slots for guide tubes, in case you use dual extrusion. Each slot has it's own 2 openings on the bottom where filament can be fed from either spool.
As these openings are shaped like funnels, it's easier to insert filament. And because these openings are positioned over 30mm backwards, they are easier to reach, while they spool the filament more from the center instead of pulling to the side.
Update September 26, 2013
- Changed the bridge between both legs to be arced,and reduce overhang problems
- Greatly improved grip on the filament guide tube.
- Redid the tubes to have a slightly larger inner diameter and smoother inner surface