Raspberry Pi File Server
by profezzorn, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This thing allows you to mount a 3.5" drive + a raspberry pi in a 5.25" bay. The intention is to use an external cdrom enclosure, which comes with both 5 volt power and an USB-to-SATA converter.
Print the plated parts, file and fix the edges to that everything fits together smoothly. You will need:
- 4 standard case/drive screws
- 4 for holding everything inside the bay (same screws as above will work, also the smaller cdrom screws, but screws made for plastic is probably better)
- 2 screws for holding the raspberry pi, the small cdrom screws may work, but are a tight fit, smaller screws would be better. If you don't have anything, you can scavenge something from a cheap plastic toy. :)
Drill all the screw holes to fit the screws you have and start assembling. To power the raspberry pi, you can either dismantle an micro-usb cable and hook it up to the 5 volts in the enclosure, or if you're lucky, and your enclosure has molex connectors, you can re-wire an old molex-to-molex+floppy cable to do the job, which is what I did.
Finally, you'll need an usb connection from the raspberry pi to the usb-to-sata converter. You can either use an external cable, or just solder some wires. USB is fairly forgiving with short cables.
Beware that the USB-to-SATA converter that comes with most/some/all cdrom enclosures do not support drives large than 2Tb.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Raspberry Pi File Server by profezzorn is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving profezzorn a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure profezzorn would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).