Voronoi Klein Bottle
by MadOverlord, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is my take on the various Klein Bottles, inspired in large part by Dizingof's perforated bottle. Mine, however, uses the Voronoi tesselation to perforate the bottle.
Does not need support, but I suggest you print with brim to improve adhesion to the platform.
Made by using ViaCad and MeshLab, as follows (all the files are included):
- In Viacad, I created 3 surfaces: the bottle body, the neck, and a patch that covers the intersection of the bottle and the neck. The bottle and neck were exported as very fine meshes, the patch as a regular resolution mesh.
- In MeshLab, I imported the bottle and the patch.
- Filters > Color... > Disk Vertex Coloring to color the Bottle using the points in the patch, adjusting the parameter until the patch was fully colored.
- Render > Color > None and then Filters > Selection > Select Faces by Color. Select RGB mode, set the sliders all to 1, turn on Preview, and then tune down the R value until you get everything selected but the patch area.
- Filters > Selection > Invert Selection, then Filters > Selection > Delete Selected Faces and Vertices to make the hole. It will be a bit bigger than the patch, but this is what you want, it makes for a nice effect.
- This is a good point to save your work. MeshLab gets crashy if you do too much, so make a lot of checkpoints. As a general rule, if something is crashing MeshLab -- or not giving proper results -- get things to the point just before the crash, save, then restart MeshLab and import the saved mesh.
- Turn off display of the patch, then Import the Neck. If the neck has a different shade from the bottle, then Filters > Normals > Invert Faces... to change the normals.
- Filters > Mesh > Flatten... to combine the two meshes.
- One problem you may run into is that the Voronoi Tesselation seems to mess up at the join between the neck and the bottle. To avoid this, use Filters > Cleaning > Merge Close... and set a pct of 8-10 (Try 8, if it doesn't work, backtrack and try bigger numbers.
- Save the results and then do the Voronoi tesselation. See my Voronoi Tetrahedron for the details on how to do that. I suggest using about 250 points to do the tesselation.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Voronoi Klein Bottle by MadOverlord is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving MadOverlord a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure MadOverlord would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).