Upgraded parts for jasonatepaint's Ultimaker 2 Aluminum Extrusion 3D printer.
New parts include:
- More bulky gantry spacers with larger through holes (less susceptible to warping and shrinkage due to thicker walls and no post processing required to fit gantry rods)
- X-axis motor mount with spacers integrated
- Y-axis motor mount with spacers integrated
- 2 part z-axis bottom brace for improved stiffness. The motor mount which carries all the vertical load is gusseted to the lower extrusion, note that the tab on the main board tray closest to the centre needs to be trimmed or removed completely, the z-axis limit switch mount is also integrated.
- Beam clamp reel holder to clamp an extra section of 2020 extrusion to function as a spool holder
- Beam reel holder end - a small stopper to keep the reel from sliding off the beam. The position of this can be adjusted to suit varying reel sizes a long as you cut your extrusion long enough.
A blog post outlining the start of my build of this printer can be found at: http://andrewtaylor.net.au/2016/04/06/uiltimaker-2-tribute-build
I have added the two parts I have used to make a reel holder out of a short length of 2020 extrusion.
A blog post updating my progress with this build (including its first major printing job) can be found at:
Referencing Jason's original files I created new models of the gantry spacers and X and Y axis motor mounts from scratch using Solidworks. The original lower Z-axis support bracket model was modified rather than starting from scratch however a new model for the lower part of my 2 part bracket design was created.