This are the schematics for a Panel that works with with Marlin under the defines "NEWPANEL". The only user interaction is a pushable encoder. I would recommend one that has 20 rotational clicks. You might need this if you want to create a similar design for your printer. For Ultimakers, it will hopefully be available through the Ultimaker Online Store soon.
Because you want to have different interconnection for non-Ultimakers, my current board file is not very useful for other printers.
In this video first seconds, you can see the thing in an laser cut enclosure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTuq1QIE9TE
I use the following parts:
- HRS 163 reverse Type normal size SD Card.
- EC11E15244B2 alps encoder
- A 4050 level shifter: 74HC4050D
- A 20x4 LCD with backlight
- R_LED depends on your LCD, some have a resistor soldered onboard to have the backlight working with 5V out of the box .
GPIO Pins you need:
- 3 for the encoder
- 6 for the LCD
- 1 for the Piezo
- 5 for the SD card (fixed pins: MOSI, MISO, SS, SCK; free pins: card detect)
Voltages: 3.3 (low current), 5V (large current for backlight), GND
It probably would work on most arduino mega based RepRap PCBs.