i wanted a comfy grip mount for my sony action cam for surf/water shooting. i used a model of a pistol grip and added a mount for the camera I attach a fishing trace to the camera and run it down the hole in the centre of the grip and attached it to a fin saver that straps to my wrist. Worst case I let go of the camera and the mount breaks everything will be still attached to me. It works out to be a comfortable position of the start stop button to use your thumb.
Fasteners/extra parts required: (all 316SS if using in ocean)
- 1/4" x 3/4" UNC hex bolt (STD camera mount, cut down to suit, could possibly use a 1/2")
- M6 x 30 button head cap screw
- M6 nyloc nut
- A fin saver (loops around the M6 bolt, straps to your wrist) or any kind of wrist strap.
- 50lb fishing trace (min 200 long, one end attached to the camera the other to the fin saver)
Please note i had some troubles with the export of the knob part and it was coming out a random scale, let me know if this is still a problem and I will try and fix it.
- Print parts (I used an UP Mini 3D, printed the camera mount and knob as solid parts and used the fine honeycomb fill setting for the grip.)
- Cut the 1/4" UNC bolt down to the correct length (ensure it does not hit the camera housing on the inside)
- press the bolt into the knob part
- Glue the camera mount to pistol grip part (make sure the knob is in place before you do this)
- Cut the M6 x 30 bold down to suit and screw into the hole at the bottom of the grip (make sure you do not over tighten and crush the grip part, especially if printed hollow)