Pick and Place Toolhead for RepRap Darwin
by Gene_Hacker, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This new toolhead allow RepRap to manipulate surface mount components. If a milling head and solder paste dispenser could be added to RepRap then production of the required PCBs could be fully automated(except you\'ll still have to solder on the non SMT components).
How it works:
a small vacuum pump creates suction in the blunt tip needle to pick up SMT components and the gear motor rotates the component into the proper position.
I designed this a while back, it\'s designed for RepRap Darwin, but you might be able to get it to work with RepRap Mendel.
More useful information in this thread:
6 20 mm M3 cap screws
3 35 mm M3 cap screws
1 10 mm M2 screw, or whatever screw will couple with the shaft on the GM3 gear motor
1 18 gauge blunt tip dispenser needle
1 magnetic rotary encoder and magnet retrofitted GM3 gear motor
1 meter of 4 mm diameter aquarium tubing $0.43
a low vacuum pump, possibly a reversed aquarium air pump
- connect the part named pnpdisk2 to the motor drive shaft
- stick the 4 mm aquarium tubing into the blunt tip dispenser needle and put this into the part called pnpdisk1
- attach pnpdisk1 to pnpdisk2 with the 20 mm M3 cap screws
- attach the magnetic rotary encoder to the part called pnpclamp with 20 mm M3 cap screws
- attach gear motor to clamp with 35 mm M3 cap screws
- attach clamp to x carriage
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Pick and Place Toolhead for RepRap Darwin by Gene_Hacker is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Gene_Hacker a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Gene_Hacker would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).