Version 3.0 : in progress, support it via LiberaPay (open-source Patreon)
(bringing an easier folding/unfolding mechanism, from 5min to 2sec and a whole redesign)
Version 2.5 : released 21-jul-2015
More on the RepRap Wiki FoldaRap's page.
Lots of pictures/videos on flickr
Since 2012, I'm traveling around the town/country/world with my little folding RepRap !
I started by a folding reprap the size of a Mendel, based on my VertX, then a smaller version more Huxley-transportable, and finally I'm developping this one build with standard aluminium extrusions. The FoldaRap was the world's first foldable 3d-printer (yay!).
My adventures/travels with it gave birth to OpenEdge, which grew to make even more FoldaRap and Mondrian, then moved toward the industry/education with customs Alto and the HD/HD-E... and now I'm back to my roots, working on the next version of this nice little machine while exploring new business models that I find more fit with the world I envision (i.e. : micro-donations for the design/documentation rather than selling hardware, I prefer to leave that to other people).
(main pic by Belowdesign)
Go to the wiki !
Mix a bunch of 20x20 aluminium extrusion, some t-nuts, printed parts, shake.
Voilà : a Foldable RepRap !
1) Download Sketchup to see the model assembled, folded, and play with it to get familiar with how it's made.
2) Get the latest version of the .stl from the Github repository
3) Print the parts with your favorite machine (need to be well calibrated)
4) Order the things you need, (look at the BOM), with a preference for local suppliers if you can.
5) Assemble (based on the 3d-model and all the pictures/video on the wiki/flickr)
6) Enjoy to easily travel with your sturdy and foldable reprap :)