Loading
FLOWALISTIK

Campbell Planter - Fully 3D Printed Self-Watering Planter

by FLOWALISTIK Jun 14, 2016
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

In case anyone's wondering, scale up in your slicer to 112% to fit a standard 400g tin in the UK/EU :)

these are great designs for people who likes diys im sure i will use this design for multiple people

Hola! te aguantó el PLA ? yo lo use para germinar semillas de palta y se me arruino en unos meses al estar en contacto permanente con el agua... por otra parte quería saber si usas tierra o son hidroponícas ? la tierra no se va por las ranuras?
gracias saludos de Bs As.

Ok, I normally don't do comments. However,I simply love this design. Besides that I really really love the css script part about the aloa vera plant, especially the display: none; it cracked me up. Many thanks for sharing your creativity. It has put me in a good mood!

The tin does rust after a while. So you may be better off putting a clear coat on the inside of your tin can. Plants don't like rust that much ;)

there is a ton of unhealthy compounds in rusting cans, i would definitely use a plastic bag/clear coat in the can.

Anyone has the best infill setting?

how do I resize it to fit other cans? I thought it would fit a standard can but it only fits a soda can.

@dferrini use scale command in the slicer you are using. Puoi ridurre le misure anche semplicemente giocando sulla scala nello slicer che usi. ciao

I love this design, thank you very much for sharing. Unfortunately the STLs doesn't fit any of the can I've available here. Can you please help me to resize the design to fit these 2 kind of food cans we have in Italy ?

Photo: https://app.box.com/s/m2yn5gceshvew6hfn412imvm453pcmn0

400gr. Can - H=109,2mm Diameter=74,6mm
180gr. Can - H=96mm Diameter=54,4mm

thanks in advance

I also need for the 400gr

Could anyone please help me resize this model, as I don't have any software to open iges/step files?

IKEA sold a "plant herbs in tin can"-kit called "Fröer" last year - perhaps they still do. There is a image of it here: http://payload350.cargocollective.com/1/1/50652/9302475/frer1_670.jpg

Outer dimension of the can: 78,9mm
Inner dimension of the can: 74,25mm
Height: 110mm

Two quick questions..

  • Is a support structure needed to print it?
  • Is it safe to plant herbs in this and eat it afterwards? (PLA)

How does the "self watering" part work? I see the tube on the side, and the holes on the bottom... the dirt soaks up water from below?

yes the dirt below the water line in the tube with the holes soaks up the water into the rest of the soil

Looks great, im print all three of them right now. will post pictures soon.

I love the css plant in the picture - great easter egg!

How do you know how much Water you need to re-fill? If I understand you correctly, the water level should be at the bottom between the two rows of holes. But if the plant is in there, one can't see the holes.

I tried different designs, some of them with a level to see the amount of water left. In the end I discarded that feature as it's as easy as removing the planter adapter, checking if there's enough water (2cm to cover the first watering holes) and inserting the planter adapter on the can again. While developing this small project I chose to focus on giving a new life to a can, but there definitely are other things that can be improved (the water level thing is one of them). The source files are included on the ZIP file, check them and make add any features you want/need!

Hey, I was just wondering how you removed the label from the soda can? I like the simplicity of your design but I was wondering if you could have less filament needed for the design, thanks!

It's explained in the post-processing part. For soda cans I used some sanding paper, and I removed al the paint in some minutes. I would recommen you to sand it before opening the can, as the liquid inside will help the can keep it's shape. However, it's also doable with an empty can. For the big cans, the label was just a piece of paper, so I just took it off.

About the material consumption. I've tried to optimize the design as much as possible, and it should be possible to make it 1-2 grams lighter tweaking with the printing settings, but I'm not really it would be possible to go under 20 grams of filament for the soda can. The source files are available, I encourage you to check them and try to make a more efficient design! ;D