IBOT is the graceful successor to the original design. I took the proportions and style from Vr1 and expanded on every aspect of the 3d model. So whats new?
- Articulated ball joints for the arms and legs.
- Pivot joints for the elbows and knees
- Improved details
- Functional Hands to accommodate accessories.
- Efficient modelling techniques (all pieces are designed with a flat face for easy printing & small parts ensure it can be printed on the tiniest of print beds)
I've put alot of love into this design and i hope it shows through. It's a great little weekend project and i'd love to see how you make it your own.
Make sure to tag me on instagram if you make your own IBOT @lew_j. I'd love to see what colours/materials/finishes you've used!
Total Print Time for IBOT Alone - 15hr
Total Print Time for all pieces - 20hr
I personally used the following settings on all pieces.
Supports? only on Hands, Body, Pelvis
Infill? All pieces are hollow with the thick walls setting enabled
Resolution? I printed at 0.2mm layer thickness (200 microns)
Some light sanding maybe required depending on the resolution you use.
The ball joints are a tight but trust me they do fit.
IBOT is approximately 14cm tall when complete.
- Print all pieces and remove excess support material / imperfections
- Slot two ball pegs into the body.
- Insert Pelvis into flat end of the body (and Glue if required)
- Slot two ball pegs into the Pelvis
- Attach Biceps & Femurs to the relevant Ball Joints
- Attach Feet & Forearms to the relevant Pivot Joints
- Plug the Hands into the Forearms
- Slot in the Head.
How I Designed This.
IBOT was designed & exported in Lightwave 3D. I used basic geometry to create each piece and added the necessary sockets/joints for articulation. This was mainly achieved by trial & error. I noticed you need a 0.1mm gap between a ball and its socket to make a decent friction fit. This also applies to the pivot joints & Head which rely on friction to move/stay in place. I used Rigidink PLA Filament which i wholeheartedly recommend to anyone.