To demonstrate how simple and multiple chain hoist/pulley block work we need to have one or more pulleys. A functional single or multiple pulley is the result of this project. It can demonstrate the transmission of forces and weights in physics. During the design and construction process, the use of basic 3D geometry has been used and wheel bearing is used as a planetary gear.
To create the pulley, which consists of two parts, the addition and subtraction of basic geometric shapes has been used and wheel bearing is used as a planetary gear. The pulley wheel is formed by a cylinder and torus subtracted from it. To create a multiple pulley, the number of wheels of the pulley can be set parametrically. All parts are designed for 3D printing.
Overview & Background
Planetary gear sets contain three major components or members. They are:
- The Ring Gear or Annulus which has internal teeth and wraps around the entire assembly.
- The Sun Gear (shown below in yellow) which is the smallest gear and sits in the center of the assembly. The planetary pinions orbit around the sun gear, hence the name of the gear set.
- The Pinion Gears (shown below in blue) interact with the Sun Gear at the same time.
Students will be able to test and use in practice how pulley block, one of the first invented machines, works. Students will find out how to change the force required to lift the load when using more pulleys in various setups.
Wikipedia - Pulley
They may also work with inventing their own design of the pulley, in order to meet the principle, while being as simple and compact as possible.
The function of the pulley block is usually part of the curriculum of secondary schools (11-years old pupils). Complex pulley blocks and designing your own pulley can bet he task for older students.
With designing your own pulley system students will learn how to design simple machine, practical demonstration of simple or multiple pulley systems.
- Design software
- 3D printer
1) Design your own pulley or prepare this design for 3D printing.
2) Print all parts of single or multiple pulley.
3) Propose variants wiring hoists.
- Designing - 5-10h
- Printing - 9h per one single pulley
The preparation for this project is the study of the fundamental principles of Archimedes pulley. Material: You also need to prepare several meters of rope with a diameter of 8-10 mm, steel M6 screw length 50mm for single pulley and a 3D printer. Tools: We needed a hacksaw, hammer and scissors. Force measuring load cell can be used. And finally some burden, of course ;)