I wanted to incorporate a new E3D for my Select Mini Printer. I wanted a separate fan for cooling that I could disconnect, and I wanted it to be radial, for the characteristics. I also wanted it mounted to the hotend mount carriage, and was not happy with the ones I was seeing.
This is work in progress, designing based off measurements - have not printed and tested yet.
I placed a little hook on the left side to ziptie cords, since the E3D has the thermister and thermocouple on that side.
Printed 1st go with supports:
- supports are a bi&*!h to take out.
- in process, I opened up the end nozzle more than designed removing the supports, also, internal of the cooling vent is not smooth anymore because of the support ridges - not sure how to fix (change way/orientation supports are done?).
- E3D is SUPER snug in the clamp, it does not close as originally intended, so need to add come chamfer to that edge, or open it up a little bit (TODO).
- the nozzle could be a little bit longer, maybe 1-2mm or so (TODO)
- radial fan fit perfectly.
- redesigned the vent to have internal filets. These will hopefully not restrict airflow, My purpose was to be able to print without using supports inside. (TESTING NOW)
- I have a backup design to add manual supports internally.
- fixed the e3d mount snuggness.
- moved the nozzle down 1mm
- added a w_supports file that I am testing - so I can print without the Cura generated supports.
Printed just fine. the clamp for the hotend is SUPER snug still, even after giving it more space. Moved the nozzle down and I printed the handmade support version. The only diff is that the little lip on the left side for ziptieing didnt have a suport, but will still work as is.
You could choose no rafts or brim, but I wanted max adhesion.
I printed with brim - gave the best resolution against the build surface.