While visiting Zandbroz Variety in downtown Sioux Falls, I went to the rear of the store where it has a small antiques and vintage area. I saw this historic architectural salvage fragment from the former Washington High School.
After Washington High School was closed, the community debated about what to do with the building. It was a beloved landmark that had stood since the early 1900s just south of downtown. In the intervening years, there had been additions and the city of Sioux Falls grew outward, surrounding it and bringing it into the downtown area.
Eventually it was decided that the former high school would be transformed into the Washington Pavilion. It is now the home to an art museum, a science center, a theater, a science center, a cinema dome and a small restaurant.
You can find out more about the Washington Pavilion here: goo.gl/ImHvqo
At Zandbroz, this plaster architectural fragment is hanging on the wall behind a vintage display counter, making it difficult to photograph. I had tried to photograph it standing opposite it but had poor results. This time, I stepped behind the counter, carefully avoiding other antiques standing behind the counter.
I took a total of 33 photos with my iPhone 6 Plus, but I couldn't reach high enough to capture the surfaces at the top of the plaster decoration. I took a lot of overlapping photos in a kind of lawn-mower pattern before turning my camera at an oblique angle to try capturing more of the depth and relief from the sides.
Unfortunately, the lighting was very uneven and as the photos created were heavily down sampled JPGs, I couldn't do very much to recover blown out spots or deep shadows. I will have to come back with a regular camera in the future and try again (assuming it hasn't sold by then).
In Agisoft Photoscan, I imported all the photos in a folder I created on my desktop. I used the 'High' setting for matching all the photos to create a sparse point cloud. After I tweaked the bounding box to only include the decoration, I then used the 'High' setting to create the dense point cloud. I also used the minimal setting to address the depth maps. I then used the 'High' setting to create the mesh and the standard color-averaging in the mosaic creation for the texture.
I still found a lot of artifacts where the chartruese wall was included, so I tried to trim the model without losing too much.