Air Hockey Robot EVO (SMARTPHONE CONTROLLED - OPEN SOURCE ROBOT)
by jjrobots, published
- Print Settings
- Overview and Background
- Lesson Plan and Activity
- Materials Needed
- Skills Learned
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
The new Air Hockey Robot EVO. Perfect to learn about Robotics, visual recognition,behavioural robotics (and have fun!)
Based on our first Air Hockey Robot, this new Air Hockey Robot EVO is much easier to set-up and deploy. Now, controlled by your own smartphone using the freely available APP (the APP will let you control the robot manually too)
A challenging robot, perfect to have fun and learn robotics at the same time
We have opted to use a medium-sized air hockey table with dimensions of 80 x 42 cm (31.5 x 16.5 in) and a two-motor X-Y movement design (H-bot), with both motors working at the same time, moving the robot up/down and left/right. Simple but ...cool
- Get everything (all the hardware) with the AIR HOCKEY ROBOT EVO KIT
- Air Hockey Robot main page (MUCH MORE INFO): http://www.jjrobots.com/air-hockey-robot-evo/
- Assembly guide:(with tons of photos and videos) http://www.jjrobots.com/air-hockey-robot-evo-assembly-guide-v-1-2/
- Community: http://jjrobots.com/forum/forum-4.html
- Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmp9elPgKo
ELEMENTS TO BE PRINTED:
6X 623 PULLEY
1X POLE SUPPORT BASE
1X SMARTPHONE SUPPORT TOP
2X FAN SUPPORT
2X LATERAL SLIDER
2X LATERAL SUPPORT
1X MOTOR HOLDER RIGHT
1X MOTOR HOLDER LEFT
2X MOTOR PULLEY
1X ROBOT PUSHER
1x ROBOT PUSHER BASE
1x PUCK (optional but recommended. This puck improves the game speed)
PLA works perfectly.
NOTE: Do not use BLUE or GREEN to print the 3D parts.
The reason: the robot is always looking for BLUE and GREEN features on the playing court in order to detect the PUCK and the PUSHER.
NOTE: Print the PUCK with support. Then, remove it.
Recommended Filament colours : BLACK/RED or WHITE
Overview and Background
How does it work?
Your smartphone will become an augmented reality device, showing predicted trajectories and position of all the objects involved in this game.
The smartphone´s camera (2) looks at the playing court . The captured data is processed in real time by the smartphone. After detecting the position of the puck and the “Pusher robot” (and according to the current location of all the elements on the court), your smartphone makes decisions and commands the Robot (3) via WIFI (1).
The Robot is locally controlled by the jjRobots Brain Shield (1) which dictates the speed and acceleration of the robot, sending the appropriate pulses to the stepper motors. Easy! (but, a video explain everything better than a text: check the youtube video linked above )
Lesson Plan and Activity
- Fun robot
- 100% OPEN SOURCE robot
- Featuring a powerful visual detection system
- Learn How to send data via WIFI between a smartphone and your robot
- Learn how to modify it for your own purposes using your own CAD software (you can create a larger version as a challenge)
- Concepts of Physics: Friction, continuous and uniform motion, rebounds, concepts of position, speed and acceleration
- Mathematical Concepts: Equation of the line through two points, prediction, XY Cartesian System
- Robotics: control Motors, Vision, PID Control, Arduino programming
- Hacking: Using 3D printer parts to build something completely different (bigger air hockey robot?).
BILL OF MATERIALS
12x M3 bolt 6mm
4x M3 bolt 10mm
6x M3 bolt 15mm
4x M3 bolt 20 mm
16x M3 nut
2x M3 self blocking nut
10x M2.5 Wood screw 20mm
EVA FOAM (two different colours)
4cm 12V FAN
2x Stepper motor NEMA17 + cables (70+70 cms)
jjRobots Brain Shield
2x Stepper motor drivers (DRV8825 or A4988) + heatsinks
12V 2A power supply 5.5mm 2.5mm jack
2x LM88UU linear ball bearing
12x 623 ball bearings
2x Stainless steel bar 8⌀ 455mm long
2x Anodised aluminium tube 8⌀ 435 mm long
1x Aluminium square pipe 12×12 mm
GT2 timing belt (300 cm)
6x zip ties (150mm x 3 mm)
double side sticky foam
*smartphone holder´s bolt
Get everything with the AIR HOCKEY ROBOT EVO KIT
- visual recognition
- robotic vision
- PID control
- basic mechanics
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Air Hockey Robot EVO (SMARTPHONE CONTROLLED - OPEN SOURCE ROBOT) by jjrobots is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving jjrobots a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure jjrobots would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).