Wanhao i3 PSU Cover 120mm Fan Adapter
by polysquare, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
An adapter that lets you mount a 120mm fan to the back of the control box / PSU of Wanhao Duplicator i3 (Monoprice Maker Select V2).This makes the control box quieter and keeps it cool during printing.
- Version 1.1 (Nov-8-2016, Recommended version)
- Thickened the tabs that hold the screws that bolt to the printer.
- Enlarged bolt holes for AC inlet. However, I still recommend using mounting tape instead of bolts here.
- There are 6 variations
- SameSide - The hole for the tether is on the same side as the AC inlet
- OppositeSide - The hole for the tether on the opposite side of the AC inlet
- BothSides - The hole for the tether is on both sides. There is still only one hole for the AC inlet
- Invert - The bottom of the adapter is curved instead of the top. The top is flat. For underslung control boxes.
- If you want your AC inlet to be on the right instead of the left side, mirror the STLs in your slicer.
- Version 1.0 (Old Version)
- Initial version, kept here for reference
- The bolt tabs are a bit weak. V1.1 is recommended.
The adapter mounts to the printer using the screws from the original metal back-plate.
The fan mounts by sliding in from the top, using it's screws as "hooks". You can adjust the tightness of the friction fit by adjusting the these screws. I used this attachment method because the included fan screws were not long enough to screw through the fan into the adapter.
On this adapter, both the tether to the rest of the printer and power cable exit from the left of the control box. There are screw holes to mount the power inlet. However, because the original machine screws did not bite into the printed plastic very well, I used exterior-grade mounting tape between the adapter and the power inlet mounting flanges instead. This turned out to be much more rigid than using two screws.
I installed the adapter using the hex wrenches that came with the printer. However, it was tedious because the wrenches are quite short. It became much easier when I used longer hex drivers.
The fan I used is from a Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 120mm "Value 4-Pack", but any 120mm should have the same screw pattern.
Fan guard: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1595208
Monoprice Maker Select v2 (Wanhao Duplicator i3)
0.2 mm layers, 2 shells
The side that the fan attaches to should lay flat on the print bed. Supports are only needed inside the hole for the AC inlet.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Wanhao i3 PSU Cover 120mm Fan Adapter by polysquare is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving polysquare a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure polysquare would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).