Tumbler, key, and case

by geezyx, published

Tumbler, key, and case by geezyx Nov 23, 2008

Featured Thing!


Liked By

View All

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag


Thing Statistics

8985Views 1033Downloads


This is a 4-pin tumbler lock with a key and display case. Insert the key and turn clockwise to get a smiley face!


A couple of the tabs on the box aren't aligned, please give me a couple days to get this sorted out. I'll include some instructions as well.

All Apps

Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse Apps

No results.

is mayonaise an instrument?

can I use it to practice lockpicking???

This thing is awesome, but the problems I have is that you don't have instructions and I don't know what kind of spring your using

Instructions would be helpful. The case does not go together properly. Some of the smaller pins are too small and fall out.

I made and posted a minor variation, simple crammed to fit in a smaller area with less waste. Salvaged scraps are great toy material :-D

A genius design idea!!! :)
Having completed one last night I have to say I love it! 8-)
I intend to make another when I get time with a few tiny tweaks, and the aid of springs because I didn't have any to hand so tried using some squishy foam (seemed to work but I think springs would be better).

ZOMG YOU MADE ONE!!! Sorry for the excitement but I didn't think anyone would actually go for it :)

Your color scheme is awesome, any other thoughts on the assembly? Ideas for improvements on the design?

You just made my day/week/month.

Saw the video, and this gets my vote for the lazzzorbattle :-)

This is probably a silly question - but which lines count as cut lines for the purposes of getting it made by ponoko?

Good question Paul, I have no idea but I'll look into this tomorrow. Don't get it cut yet! The tabs for the box are off and I need to fix them.

I had some 7/32 laying around and lazed this one out. Everything is slightly loose and jiggly, so I am assuming that 1/4 material would have been the better size.

So far, the one thing that has cropped up is the side panel closest to the tumbler part has an incorrect tab size. It has wider tabs on the top and bottom, but should be 1 narrower on the top edge, one wider on the bottom edge.

Those sizes should say 3/32" that I used first time (the 7/32 was plywood on a different item I was cutting) and 1/8" material. Using 1/8" worked like a charm.

One other issue on the existing file. Either the top panel or the tumbler side panel has the top tab-y bit on the wrong place to line up (assuming the size is fixed to fit, its the wrong place on the end nearest the tumblers).

My Tumbler Box is now done. I'd vote for this in the lazzzorbattle.

Ahhh, sorry Robert! I totally forgot about the misplaced tabs. I made the final modifications directly on the PC connected to the lazzzor and forgot to save them (I think it was around 6 a.m. by that time, in my defense)

I'll fix that as soon as I get a chance.

Awesome! This is the coolest Thing ever. :-D

Thanks Matt, glad you like it! :)

I can't wait to edit the video of your lockbox! Congrats on an awesome project!!!!