This model is a replacement for the Radio Shack DIY Drone Starter Kit (https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-diy-drone-starter-kit?variant=21420195781). After a few flights, by drone body became weak and the drone became unstable. I designed this new airframe to support the electronics in the kit.
The battery, PCB, and motors all friction fit in my model. I did have to bend some of the LED wires to allow the PCB to fit in the supports. This does not affect function. The 3D printed airframe is lighter than the stock plastic one that comes in the kit. This difference in Mass greatly affects flying, enabling longer battery life and quicker ascents. The airframe is designed to be small and lightweight. There is a hole in the bottom of the airframe as well as thin prop support rods to aid in this goal.
See the printer settings section to aid in replicating this project.
For more information on this and other projects, see http://08milluz.com.
I printed this with ABS on my Makerbot 2X. The dimensions of the model account for the slight shrinking. Printing with ABS should result in a friction fit. If you use PLA, the fit should still be pretty good, but you may want to shrink the model 2% or use hot glue to hold the electronics and motors in. I printed with 2 shells.
I printed with HIPS supports and raft. See post printing for more details on how to clean up the airframe.
Most of the HIPS supports easily broke away and the raft came right off. To finish the model, I did let it sit over night in D-Limonene. This process removed a few of the small supports in the corners of the model. It is not necessary, but it does improve the final print quality.