XYZ Printing daVinci Jr 1.0 + Cura 2.3.1 + ThreeDub
by kr15_uk, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
How to use Cura 2.3.1 with your daVinci Jr
(This is a Mac tutorial. I haven't done this on Windows but should be similar I'd guess.)
Step 1 - Get Cura Running
- Download and install Cura 2.3.1
- Download davinci_jr_platform.stl and davinci_jr.def.json
- Open Cura once and Quit otherwise Mac will complain about corrupted app
- Copy davinci_jr_platform.stl into /Applications/Cura.app/Contents/Resources/resources/meshes/
- Copy davinci_jr.def.json into /Applications/Cura.app/Contents/Resources/resources/definitions/
- Open Cura and add Jr as your printer.
Step 2 - Get Printing
Cura produces regular plain gcode but Jr needs it's proprietary 3w files.
(3w is encrypted gcode with some modifications.)
There comes ThreeDub in play.
- Download ThreeDub from https://gitlab.com/anthem/py-threedub/tree/master (Thanks to @Anthem for the ThreeDub development)
- Install HomeBrew on your Mac - http://brew.sh/
- brew install python
- pip install --upgrade pip
- pip install pycrypto
- pip install pyserial
- python setup.py install (from downloaded threedub directory)
Now when you create .gcode with Cura you just need to convert it to .3w file so Jr can work with it.
Simply run command threedub filename.gcode and it will spit out filename.3w file.
Copy it to SD card and enjoy. I'll presume it works via XYZWare's USB printing - never tried.
Known issues/weird behaviour.
- Prints are always facing back to front. But prints are fine. If you select Z seam to be at the back - it will be at the back on the print. Seems to be some firmware weirdness.
- When printing small objects Z seam can be "blobby". It's perfectly fine with small details on larger objects but some weirdness going on with small objects like calibration cube.
Never figured it out why, couldn't be bothered hence this affected my print quality in 2% of the cases max. I don't have Jr stock board anymore so never tested this but on new Cura they have Acceleration and Jerk settings - these might help.
- No time ETA on LCD. It shows 1m left pretty much all the time. Also reported time in Cura quite differs from real Jr printing time.
Why should you want to mess about with this and what are the benefits?!
- You have bigger control of print settings etc.
- You can print faster than 30mm/s (Jr Fast mode)
- You can set manual temperature for your filament (extremely useful if you are using 3rd party filaments with hacked NFC tags)
- loads of other little features...
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
XYZ Printing daVinci Jr 1.0 + Cura 2.3.1 + ThreeDub by kr15_uk is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving kr15_uk a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure kr15_uk would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).