Loading
CaptainMojo

Movie Era Constitution class

by CaptainMojo Dec 1, 2013
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

I tried to print this at 1/3125 scale to match up with my ADB Star Fleet Battles minis in ABS. Sadly, at that scale, the warp nacelle pylons were too thin to support the weight of the engines.

Any suggestions?

I haven't done 1/3125, but I have printed the parts at 1/5000 with these files, and aside from getting the parts off the bed I didn't have any strength issues in ABS. Can you try printing the nacelle and pylon parts as 100% infill if you're not already? Also consider adding a tenth of a mm to your first layer height when slicing, which might give it the strength it needs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm made the adjustments and will give it a go later.

There seems to be an issue with the back shuttle doors not slicing correctly in Slic3r and Cura. When I split the object, it would appear that the doors them selves are too thin to be sliced and another object underneath is being printed. Another issue is a hole in the lower side of the secondary hull, I believe its the same issue as the doors.

Overall, I still like the quality of the print

I have not run into that particular issue (I used Slic3er and Repetier Host, although it's been a long time since I printed it). Those walls are pretty thin, so I'm not terribly surprised with issues. Are you using the combined model, or the cutup pieces (I spent a lot more time cleaning the cut-up parts)?

If you’ve successfully printed this, I would love to see some pictures if you’ve got ‘em.

I'm using the cut up parts (love building models). Its weird because Slic3r, Cura, and Simplify3d recognize the doors in the model, but won't slice them correctly. If I knew how to use blender, I would attempt to fix.

https://postimg.org/gallery/2z9535llq/
I need to do some clean up on the parts. I was hoping that the secondary hull could be fixed, but if not, I can try to use some sort of filler.

BTW, I'm printing the Miranda, very impressed.

Give this a try: http://www.thingiverse.com/download:3258943

I re-output the secondary hull from blender and re-repaired the mesh using netfabb, then created new cut-up versions, this time a left-right set and also a top-bottom set (which should have the doors as more solid). I haven't tested these files in slic3r, but they do validate as watertight STL's, so should slice correctly.

The model I converted from the trekmeshes site was designed to look pretty, but wasn't meant to be printed, so needed a lot mesh work to make it suitable for cut-up and printing. Due to lack of patience, I tend to focus on smaller prints (1:2500 and smaller), so I suspect Slic3r isn’t seeing the problem at those scales. If these files don’t fix the issue let me know what scale you’re printing at and I’ll try to reproduce the issue. I’m not a blender wizard, but I can do some minor repair work if needed.

Either way, let me know how it goes. I was hoping modelers would use these and it’s nice to see someone actually printing it out. Would love to see a finished version.

To me this vessel class name is "Constitution Refit Class". I think that's what the Micro Machines version of it from the 1990s were called anyway.

Indeed, you are quite correct, although there was the FASA "Enterprise Class" heresy of the 80's that caused much fandom confusion(for the full background, see http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Enterprise_class ). Still, in-line with the US Navy’s Essex class refit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex-class_aircraft_carrier#Post-war_rebuilds ), which was radical but didn’t change the class name (and trek was heavily influenced by WWII and post-war US Navy), I believe "Constitution Class Refit" is the proper name.