by gaetanlaure, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
I designed this quadcopter for aerial video. It's inspired from the RCExplorer tricopter (arms and motor mounts are the same, it can be folded up similarly). It uses an APM 2.5 (running ArduCopter open source software) and a GPS, which enable automatic flight modes (such as return to launch in case of signal lost, or following pre-programmed waypoints). The video stabilization is also quite good thanks to the 3 axis gimbal used.
- Frame: Self-designed, made out of plywood and PMMA cast
- Arms: Square carbon booms (10x10x325 mm)
- Flight Controller: APM 2.5 (RCTimer)
- GPS: u-Blox CN06 Plus (RCTimer)
- Motors: T-Motor MT2216-12 V2 800KV
- ESC: Favourite Littlebee 30A (BLHeli)
- Props: Graupner E-Prop 10x5
- Battery: Zippy 4S 5000mAh 20C
- RC/TX: Graupner MX-16 HoTT / GR-16 receiver
- Video TX: ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz 600mW and ImmersionRC SpiroNET antennas
- FPV Goggles: Fatshark Attitude V2
- Camera: GoPro 3 Black
- Gimbal: DYS Smart3
- All up weight: 1790 grams (including battery and GoPro camera)
- Flight time : ~ 15 minutes
IN FLIGHT VIDEOS:
ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS AND CONFIGURATION:
Available on my website: http://gaetanlaure.com/the-quadcopter-v1
To be laser cut:
- into 5mm plywood (okoume - 3 plies):
- into 10mm PMMA cast sheet:
- into 3mm PMMA cast sheet:
I did it at SoFAB, using the Trotec Speedy 100 laser cutting machine. If you don't have the possibility to use a laser cutting machine you can do it with a CNC. With a CNC, the plywood parts could also be cut into 1.5mm G10/FR4 fiber glass or 3K carbon fiber. The PMMA cast parts could also be 3D printed with ABS or PLA.
To be 3D printed with ABS:
I recommend 70% (or more) infill and 1.2mm top and bottom and wall thickness.
To be 3D printed with ABS or PLA:
Other parts/hardware needed:
- 10x10mm Woven Carbon fiber arm x 4
- Circle motor mount x 4
- M3x18mm Screw (10pcs) x 3 (16 to mount the motors, 4 to mount the gimbal and 4 to mount the battery tray).
- M3x6mm Screw (10pcs) (8 to mount the APM/GPS board on the vibration damping mount).
- M3x30mm Screw (20pcs) (16 to assemble the arms, main plates, the APM mount and the battery tray together).
- M3 Lock nuts (10pcs) x 2 (12 lock nuts needed).
- M3 flat washer x 32
- Vibration Damping Ball (Bag of 8) (for the APM vibration damping mount).
- M3x5+6mm Nylon Hex Standoff Male/Female (10pcs) (4 to mount the APM on the vibration damping mount).
- M3x25mm Nylon Hex Standoff Female/Femal (10pcs) (4 to mount the gimbal on the battery tray).
- M3x30mm Nylon Hex Standoff Female/Femal (10pcs) (4 to mount the GPS board over the APM).
- Black 40mm M3 Standoff x 4 (to mount the battery tray).
- Zip-ties x 2
- FPV transmitter post
- Battery velcro strap x 2
- HobbyKing Receiver Antenna Mount Dual 45deg
- Polyester Velcro Peel-n-stick (Black) (1 Meter)
- RCTimer ArduFlyer V2.5.2 Kit Flight Controller
- u-Blox CN06 Plus GPS Receiver
- Power Module XT60 Kit
- 5V Active Buzzer
- 3DR 433MHz Radio Telemetry
- ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Video Transmitter (600mw)
- ImmersionRC SpiroNET antennas
- DYS Smart3 3 Axis
- GoPro 3/4
- 12V 3A UBEC - 2~5S LiPo (6-23v)
- Lipo Voltage Checker (2S~8S)
- Hélice Elektro Prop Graupner 10x5" x 2
- Hélice Elektro Prop Graupner 10x5" REVERSE x 2
- 8mm to 5mm Reducers for Graupner Props (4pcs)
- MT2216-12 V2 T-motor - kv800 - 75gr x 4
- Favourite Littlebee 30A (BLHeli) x 4
- Favourite Sky 3 Quattro ESC USB Programming Tool
- ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 4S1P 20C
Wires/connectors/wire mesh/heat shrink:
- XT60 to 6 X 3.5mm bullet Multistar ESC Power Breakout Cable
- Twisted 60cm Servo Lead Extention (Futaba)
- TL68A10 Tarot Gopro Hero3 AV Cable
- Male JST Battery Pigtail 12cm Length (10pcs/bag)
- Female JST Battery Pigtail 10cm Length (10pcs/bag)
- Turnigy High Quality 18AWG Silicone Wire 1m (Red) x 3
- Turnigy High Quality 18AWG Silicone Wire 1m (Black) x 3
- Turnigy High Quality 24AWG Silicone Wire 1m (Red)
- Turnigy High Quality 24AWG Silicone Wire 1m (Black)
- Turnigy High Quality 24AWG Silicone Wire 1m (Yellow)
- Turnigy 2mm Heat Shrink Tube 1M (Red)
- Turnigy 4mm Heat Shrink Tube 1M (Red)
- Turnigy 6mm Heat Shrink Tube 1M (Red)
- Turnigy 2mm Heat Shrink Tube 1M (Black)
- Turnigy 4mm Heat Shrink Tube 1M (Black)
- Turnigy 6mm Heat Shrink Tube 1M (Black)
- Turnigy Heat Shrink Tube 14mm x 1mtr (Black)
- Wire Mesh Guard Black 6mm (1m)
- Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs)
- 4mm Gold Connectors 10 pairs (20pc) x 2
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Quadcopter V1 by gaetanlaure is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving gaetanlaure a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure gaetanlaure would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).