To honor Epic Fu< (http://www.epicfu.com/) visiting CrashSpace (http://crashspace.pbworks.com/) March 2010, Sean asked me to create a 3d version of their logo for the Makerbot. This is the result, along with several of the files I used in the process to create the STL.
First I used Preview (OSX) to convert an EPS version of the logo to PNG. Then I used GIMP to clean it up and created two pngs - the base (rect) and letters. I imported these into Inkscape individually and used the Path-trace bitmap tool to create paths, and saved as SVG. Then I imported these into Blender, scaled, extruded, positioned, and converted to mesh. Then I appended the base/rect mesh to the letters mesh and converted to STL.
The Inkscape-Blender part is actually more complex. I found it necessary to use Inkscape Path-break apart, and some other cleanups to make it work. Also Blender didnt like loading multiple svg, so I had to quit and restart it for each model.
I have not yet successfully printed the object, as my bot keeps having feed problems. I'm sharing files to date so others can try.
I also wrote up a bit more how-to over on http://wiki.makerbot.com/making-a-3d-logo