Stand for 4 Xbox Controllers
The model consists of 4 parts:
- Controller stand
- Batteries Holder
There are 3 versions of the controller stand included. They all fit in the model but Version 3 is the best one as prints showed.
With good quality of printing the base can hold the 4 stands together. Mind that controllers are heavy so the base itself won't do the trick so you can lift the thing off the table. Screwing is needed for this to be possible.
The batteries holder has an important role in the model. Using a nut and a bolt to attach it to the Base you can make the thing solid and not be afraid to lift it off the table.
Since the Base and the Batteries Holder keep the Stands together, why not have a handle?
- The stands should be printed laying on their sides to ensure the weakness of layers is not in the Z-axis. Supports are needed in this case so that the two rods that hold the controllers can be printed.
- The Base and the Batteries Holder should be printed standing. The Batteries Holder will need supports because of the holes for the handle.
- The Handle should be printed laying on its side, again, to ensure stability in the right directions.
Starting from the idea that I need to fit 4 controllers I looked for ready things. I really liked Clem_golgoth's design to start with. I knew I need to print 4 of these and get them connected somehow in the middle. There already is an idea with a remix of his work but it is hard to print and ... actually does not look as cool as what I had in mind. So I needed to add some way to attach them all to some plate at the bottom and align 4 of them in 4 directions. I got a print of the first design. The controller was not stable enough. It used the same angle Clem_golgoth's original uses. So I needed to modify the angle and make the controller lean back a bit more. This lead to the need of more length in the bottom part. Since I wanted the stand to be non-plastic-expensive I added some holes in the middle. That made it hard to print. In fact, because it was not well stuck to the bed it broke while printing. This lead to the complete redesign of the middle part and I am pretty happy with the third version.
When the controller stands were ready a plate was needed to merge them. And one on top to make sure they stay together. The one on top also has a holder for 5 batteries - just to use the space. Then I added a handle. I was not sure it will actually "work" well or it will break, but after I had all the things printed and assembled I am pretty happy with the final result.