by cymon, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
If you like my work I hope you'll consider supporting me on Pateron: https://www.patreon.com/3DPrintingProfessor
Subscribe to me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/mrjoesays
Update I am now building these and selling the latest version on my Etsy! So if you don't have a printer yet, I will be happy to print you one! Check it out at https://www.etsy.com/listing/109657227/
Now you can battle your chess two ways. Traditionally on a chess board or combine your powers to form the ultimate chess fighting robot.
Had this idea a while ago and this contest gave me the perfect opportunity to make it happen. Having to use Tinkercad to make it happen was wonderfully educational too. It's a limited tool in many way and the limitations were in their own way liberating.
EDIT: Updated STLs with new versions to fix printing problems in original versions. Now on v1.2. Old plate renamed "V1" for historical purposes.
EDIT2: Discovered that some of my pieces, most notably the knight, exceeded the dimensions stipulated in the contest rules. Added a scaled down plate that fits the contest requrements. Called it "1.2 small". Individual pieces are still the larger size.
EDIT3: 1.3 small added that thickens the connections to the pawns and removes the tabs connecting them. 1.2 (big) not tested yet, I have no reason to believe it won't work as is so I'm leaving it.
EDIT4: Taking this off WIP status becauase any future work will be in version 2.X. (See deritives)
I tried to design it to print supportless, but there are a few places I might have missed.
- Print a plate for each side or print the individual pieces the number of times specified.
- Play chess or...
- Slide the tab from the queen into the notch on the king and slide downards to lock the body together.
- Take the 2 type A pawns and slide into the shoulder slots.
- Take 4 type B pawns and lock their feet together to form 2 legs.
- Flip the knights over for feet and snap the legs into them.
- Snap the legs into the body.
- Take the remaing 2 type B pawns and lock their feet into the feet of the rooks to form two upper arms.
- Snap the shoulders pawns into the upper arms.
- Snap the upper arm pawns into the bishops to form the hands.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Action #Chess by cymon is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving cymon a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure cymon would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).