This replacement spool holder for the Hephestos 2 has two rolls attached to ball bearings for the filament spool to sit and run on. The whole assembly fits snugly on the Hephestos 2's frame, right where the stock spool holder attaches. This design proofed to run way more quiet than the stock one for me, and also allows for a smoother unrolling of the spool during print jobs thanks to the easy going rolls.
To build this you'll need to print:
- 2 x spoolholder_roll.stl, with support from platform
- 4 x spoolholder_rollend.stl
- 4 x spoolholder_washer.stl
- 2 x spoolholder_side.stl
- 1 x spoolholder_bar.stl
- 1 x spoolholder_bar_filamentguide.stl (or if you don't want to use the filament guide another spoolholder_bar.stl)
- 1 x spoolholder_plate.stl, with support from platform (should fit nicely on the bed of the Hephestos 2)
Additionally you'll need:
- 4 x 625ZZ ball bearings
- 4 x M5x16mm screws (e.g. DIN 912)
- 4 x M5 hex nuts (e.g. DIN 934)
- 4 x M3x10mm screws (e.g. DIN 912)
If you need to make any adjustments, you can find the Fusion360 files here.
You only need support for the two rolls, due to the pockets for the bearings. All other parts should print just fine without supports.
I printed all parts in orange PLA, with two perimeters.
See the exploded view for assembly instructions. Attempt at a textual description follows ;)
- Attach one ball bearing each to the upper larger holes in the two sides. To do this push one M5 screw through the hole, put the washer on it, put the bearing on it, then secure with an M5 nut. Make sure to mirror the assemble for one side.
- Attach the roll end pieces on both sides of each roll, with the flange facing outside. It should be a snug press fit. If it isn't you might want to secure things with a bit of super glue.
- Plug the rolls onto the ball bearing assemblies.
- Put the two bars between the sides where the 3mm holes are located, screw them together with the M3 screws (it should work just screwing into the plastic). This should make the whole assembly fairly rigid.
- Slide on top of your Hephestos 2's frame.