IsoSurface AJ Labyrinth Generator for architecture / unity3d

by Zoon1234micron Dec 21, 2016
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

You will think you slicer has crashed. Start it before you go to work and let it work.

Hi torby, the scad program can take a while to render the stl file, i.e. 2-3 minutes, and the finished STL should be very easy to render in a slicer. it's best to add a base cube under the labyrinth to keep it together, then the slicer program should be render it into a 2megabyte gcode. i have 30meg gcodes from slic3r so i don know why the slicer crashed?! gcode and slicing difficulty depends on the number of curvers/edges/rounds of a mesh, so with straight lines it should be one of the easiest possible to print.

Didn't crash. Was finished when I got back a few hours later. You'll just think it had as it carefully slices all those little cubes.

I put the "labyrinth" on a 2mm thick plate so the cubes stick out about 1/2 a millimeter. Might be not enough. Then tried printing in white to make a panel for a "lamp." Should be pretty, assuming my white is translucent enough. Looking at the partly formed raft, it might not be. Now, I need to take the feeder apart as after printing for a couple minutes, it starts going "grind-grind-grind" and feeding no plastic. I can load the filament... Well, I've had those apart before. Should get the spring and ball "upgrade" for that.

If the feeder is going grind grind perhaps your extruder is too cold. i had that when i tried abs at 235 or something, and it has been fine sine i changed it to 245, havent had a single grind. the cogs only touch the filament on a small contact area, they should have made caterpillars.square cogs/some other thing than round cogs, only one tooth of the cog is on the filament, there is research on that and different options.

it took 8 mins to generate the STL and 1 minute to generate the Gcode: http://i63.tinypic.com/i4qrfp.jpg

you can add this to the top to generate a base


and then change the Z of the other cube to 2-12 if you want.

    if (xc > .5) // if isosurface is small, build wall cube
        translate( [j ,i, 0])




    ridgeDensity = 10;//higher values compress the random oscillator at higher frequency
    brickDensity = 0.43;//regulates the difficulty of maze
    mixIntensity= 0.1;
    mazeSize = 100; 

module labyrinthIsoSurface (){

 for( j = [ 1 : mazeSize ])
   for( i = [ 1 : mazeSize ])

        li = lfo(i*ridgeDensity)*532.154;//random lfo values
        lj = lfo(j*ridgeDensity)*451;
        xc= (lfo(j*mixIntensity+li) + lfo(i*mixIntensity+lj))*.25+brickDensity;//
        //xc= (lfo(li) + lfo(lj))*.25+.40;//run this version to see simple version of maze

        rd = round(xc)*55;
        if (xc > .5) // if isosurface is small, build wall cube
            translate( [j ,i, 0])

function mod(a,m) = a - m*floor(a/m);
function lfo(xx)= mod(abs((sin(floor(xx))*0.01246)*32718.927),1.0)*2.0 - 1.0  ; //erratic sin
    //low frequency oscillator function similar to synthesizer robot sound like R2D2

//8 minutes render 1 minute in slicer.

Curious. I've always used 230 for the extruder temperature. I'll try 245. I thought maybe something was keeping filament from coming off the roll, but that seems to work fine.

Your computer is faster than mine :D 22 minutes 39 seconds to render.

it's using slic3r at 3ghz, except that there is a multicore option in slicer, mine is probably running on 8 processors. that's logical, 2*8= 16, if i use one core and .15 layer size it will take 20 minutes.

New computer -- well, actually old computer, but new to me. 3GHz 8GB ram, no idea how many cores. Slices in a few minutes. I didn't time it.

I changed the cube line to cube([1,1,2]) and get a very pleasing surface.

My filament seems to jam when the carriage is near the back of the printer. I've never tried printing something 100mm square before. I rendered it 50mm square and it seems to be printing, besides taking LOTS less time to render. And 245C seems too hot. My white ABS comes out brown at that temp. Using 230 now. I have an antique wooden makerbot dual. Thinking about putting sailfish on it instead of whatever it has. Uses the old s3g format files.