Yoda Coin Bank
by ModernGnome, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Yes, it's yet another 3D printable Yoda! Today, I offer you the classicYoda model, hollowed out and turned into a cute coin bank. Years ago, Yoda was one of my very first 3D prints. At the time, I didn't know how to cut a hole for a coin slot (I just printed it hollow, cut a hole and then took a file to it, LOL!) or create a screw-on cover for the bottom of the bank. So this version is just my way of revisiting an earlier attempt, with an improved, yet still easy to print, design.
Print this you must!
Here's how I made it:
1) First, I measured some coins. I wanted the coin slot and the hole in the bottom to be able to fit a coin the size of a US or Canadian quarter, which is about 23mm in diameter. I found a suitable Yoda model and loaded it into Meshmixer. Then, Edit > Make Hollow, 1mm walls. Export as STL.
2) Load STL into Microsoft 3D Builder, Insert > Add cube, resize to 23mm length and 2mm width, position to desired location of slot, Edit > Subtract.
3) I used the screw section of my recently uploaded Smart Spool, cut (Edit > Split) to a smaller height, then made a copy and used that to Subtract a hole in that shape from the bottom of the model. I decreased the size of the screw-on cover 2% to improve the fit and saved the file as STL.
4) I reloaded the model into 3D Builder and it reported that the model needed repairs. I let it complete the repairs, resized it to 85mm height (yielding a coin slot roughly 28mm long, about the size of a Canadian Toonie or a US Dollar coin) and then resaved a final version.
5) At this point, I decided to prepare two versions of the Yoda Coin Bank: one with the 28mm "XL" size coin slot, and a larger model (100mm high) with a smaller 23mm slot and bottom hole, suitable for smaller coins or printing at larger sizes. Both versions were prepared as described above and are available for download here.
- Does not need infill to be specified. Model is pre-hollowed.
- If you intend to resize this model smaller or you want to use coins larger than a quarter, use the XL hole version.
- Thanks to Creative Tools for the original screw-threads design.
- Print in green (or paint as shown here: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:76090) for maximum Yoda-ness.
Be creative! Think of some other possibilities:
- Stick an LED light in the bottom.
- Place this over an LED light on your Christmas tree.
- Insert a roll of paper containing wise Yoda quotes and thread the paper through the slot in the top. Then, anytime you need guidance, just ask Yoda!
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Yoda Coin Bank by ModernGnome is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving ModernGnome a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure ModernGnome would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).