A dial indicator holder for easy and highly accurate bed leveling:
Specific to the Printrbot Plus v2.1 (v2.0 has different spacing and will not work. I created a version, search on the Printrbot Talk forum for it.)
Also, there appears to be a NEW Printrbot Plus that has a 10" build table, and not sure the one I created this for is for sale any more. See the pictures attached to verify you have the same v2.1 that I do.
Printed in PLA (no support structure, 0.1 infill) it should just snap into place on the X axis as desired.
See Instructions tab for specifics on its use.
Designed to work with the inexpensive Harbor Freight 1" travel machinist's dial indicator. The indicator should just press fit solidly with no wiggle. [Update- it looks like the newer versions of the HF dial indicator might have a narrower mounting piece. I'd suspect a few wraps of masking or electrical tape would snug it up.]
This can also be used to "recall" z height settings for setting your z stop. for different materials.
Printed at 0.15 infill, 0.3mm layer height, no support structures. I've only printed this in PLA. ABS and other material would almost certainly work.
Some general instructions for use:
1) Calibrate your printrbot plus v2.1 as best as you can. I used cardstock for Z height spacing. Recommend you do this with the bed and head both warmed up (due to thermal expansion)
2) Verify your dial indicator is the same (or similar enough) to the one I used. Print the dial indicator holder and insert the dial indicator as shown.
3) Home the printrbot. Move the printer head to the center position on the X axis.
4) Move the Z axis to 20mm above home. Do this before you remove the dial indicator every time.
5) Attach the dial indicator on the left side of the rails by hooking the top piece first then swinging the lower clip into place. It should be snug with no movement.
6) Lower the Z axis to the home position. Rotate the dial indicator bezel so the needle is at the the zero position.
7) Manually advance the bed to the far Y position. Adjust the bed height (corner screw/nut nearest the indicator) so the dial indicator reads zero again.
8) Return the bed to the original Y position. The dial indicator should still read 0. If there's warp in your bed, you'll see it between the two points. Keep in mind the indicator is EXTREMELY accurate so a little warp/ imperfections in the Kapton tape adhesion is inevitable.)
9) Raise the Z axis 20mm, and carefully disconnect then move the dial indicator to the opposite end of the X axis. Be careful to not move the dial indicator in its holder.
10) Lower the Z axis to home position and adjust nearest bed screw until dial reads zero.
11) Manually advance the bed to the far Y position. Adjust the bed height so the dial indicator reads zero.
12) Repeat steps 5-11 as necessary for super level bed action!
Work carefully and methodically, as you won't have to do this very often (ideally, once!)