I can't believe I hadn't seen ThePlanetMike's Warp Core Lamp or any of the others that followed before this week. I immediately downloaded it to start printing but I didn't feel it was up to star feet standards. I quickly brought it in to utopia planitia for a refit and this is what we ended up with.
It is 73% of the originals size but has the same power output. The resolution has been increased by a factor of at least three times and to the point that the facets are no longer visible. All parts now fit on a 100mm x 100mm bed.
In addition to increasing the resolution I have done the following:
The thin round posts are no longer printed. They are now replaced with 5mm diameter steel bars (metal braces I had lying around from the back of Ikea shelving units (now called HEJNE)). You could also use stainless steel automotive brake line tubing.
The ribbed "Vertical Tension Members" are now printed on their sides for a better finish and easier printing. They have a hole down the center for a piece of metal coat hanger wire as a support and to keep them all in line.
The "Magnetic Constrictor Lens" has been remodelled to be a solid which you only print the one perimeter, no infill and no top or bottom layers.
The lens inside the "Warp Reaction Chamber" is now one solid piece that you only print one perimeter, no infill and no top or bottom layers.
The "Phase Adjustment Coils" have been remodelled entirely without the round posts or the vertical tension members.
The "Reactant Injectors" have been entirely remodelled to have no intersecting faces.
The "Warp Reaction Chamber" has had some remodelling on the interior to use less plastic.
The Lamp base has been remodelled to be high resolution. I has a wire hole at the back for the power cord.
The only part that requires support is the "Warp Reaction Chamber".
The entire thing prints very quickly especially the single wall lens's.
UPDATE: May 17, 2018
Android program to control warpcore submitted by user Catmandu13 and is available on the google play store for free at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_cterry42.WarpController2
UPDATE: Jan 2, 2017 : Added "Lamp Base.stl" to allow it to be used as a table lamp like the original one was intended. I also updated the Blend file with the new base.
UPDATE: Feb 6, 2017: Created http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2090708 which is the light diffuser I used inside the model.
Print the Warp Reaction Chamber using support is recommended.
The Lens's should be printed using a single perimeter, zero infill and no top or bottom layers. Spiral mode if its an option.
Minimum printed parts:
1 - Reaction Chamber
1 - Reaction Chamber Lens
2 - Magnetic Constrictor Lens's
6 - Vertical Tension Members
2 - Reactant Injectors (or 1 - Reactant Injector and 1 - Lamp Base)
0 - Phase Adjustment Coils
For each additional section added you will need the following:
1 - Phase Adjustment Coil
1 - Magnetic Constrictor Lens
3 - Vertical Tension Members
To increase the resolution of the original parts I imported them into Blender and marked the sharp edges and then set the multi-resolution modifier to work. They are not applied in the Blend file so you can go in and adjust the resolution to your liking.
The parts that I completely remodelled are also done the same way but start off at a higher resolution.
Running at Warp factor 2
Running in rainbow mode
Part of a Warp Core breach cycle