Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!
by Quintox303, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Inspired by Ikeda Yosuke's open/close sign design which relies on gravity and relatively frictionless joints, I decided to design one using planetary gears to drive the movement of the letters. An animation of the transition can be seen here: https://youtu.be/TmrUlpgojlY
The model has now been updated to include the "d" in closed but the video is of an older version. Video of movement and assembly will be uploaded soon.
The gears are made to snap fit onto their respective axles, tolerances for rotational and press fit parts have been confirmed and should work well with a properly calibrated printer.
- D in "closed" has finally been added to the design. Using the joiner.stl piece, the letter d should lay perfectly over the top of the c and the l. First glue the joiner to your gear_right in the correct position and then glue it to your letter d to allow proper alignment.
- Type has been refined a little bit, particularly on the letters e, d, c, and l.
- Registration points added for letters to attach to gears
- Split base plate for smaller build platforms (minimum build size required 160 x 160 mm)
- Refined font to remove sharp edges
- E and S/N has been chamfered on the bottom edge to avoid catching
- Planet gears and gear_left have been heightened by 1mm in order avoid contact with the axle
- gear_left has modified gears to only allow rotation in the direction such that letters don't touch each other (idea by frankvdh)
Still To Come:
- Hand crank and motorised version - will include instructions for electronics
- Smaller base version similar to remix by hirorin
- Standing base for desktop display
- I will finally get around to printing it!
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Open/Closed Sign by Quintox303 is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Quintox303 a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Quintox303 would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).