Geared Desk Clock
by kobaj, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
A neat looking 3d printed gear clock for your desk!
You'll need to print:
- 6x spacers
- 3x 10 tooth gears
- 2x 20 tooth gears
- 2x 18 tooth gears
- 2x 12 tooth gears
- 1x 15 tooth gear
- 2x foot
- 1x 36 tooth "minute hand" gear
- 1x 32 tooth "hour hand" gear
- 1x 12 tooth motor gear
- 1x motor mount
- 1x plate
- 12x nylon washers
- 8x m4 20mm bolts
- 8x m4 nuts
- 6x m4 13mm standoffs round
- 1x stepper motor (I recommend model 28BYJ-48)
- 1x stepper motor driving board
- (Optional) 1x small magnet
- (Optional) 1x reed switch
- glue (Super glue works, but I recommend a solvent based glue like "Weld-On 16")
- Screw Driver
- Small File
- Print all the parts.
- Glue together gear sets as specified in ascii_gearsets.txt
- Note! Don't glue to the metal standoff or to the nylon washer.
- Attach the motor using the motormount and its corresponding 12 tooth gear.
- Note! Put a nylon washer between the gear and the plate.
- Note! You can mount the motor from the front or from behind, pick your favorite.
- Screw the clock face to the plate as shown in the pictures.
- Note! Don't pinch the nylon washer between metal standoff and the plate.
- Screw the remaining gear sets to the plate.
- Push the feet into place.
- Attach power, and make the motor run at 3 revolutions per hour.
- Mount the reed switch so it is triggered by the magnet.
- Write code to adjust your motor speed when the reed switch is triggered.
- Make sure reed switch is triggered once every 12 hours.
- Depending on your printer you may need to size up or down the gears by 1%.
- Additionally you may want to file the mounting holes for the gears.
- You want a nice frictionless rotation of all gears around the standoffs and with each other.
Where to get stuff:
- Nylon Washers - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/3138
- Standoffs - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/RAF-Electronic-Hardware/M0542-4-SS/
- Motors - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CP18J4A/
- Glue - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0149IFA9O
- Magnets - https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D41-N52
- Gear train generator - http://geargenerator.com
- The gear train for this clock - http://bit.ly/2irquMW
- Gear train calculator - http://scientific601.altervista.org/gear/gearcalc.html
- I see a circuit board and code in your pictures, can I have their source?
- Not at this time, sorry.
- What was this designed with?
- Autodesk Fusion 360.
MP Select Mini
- Works great in PLA or PETG.
- Make sure the parts are flat and not warped after printing.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Geared Desk Clock by kobaj is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving kobaj a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure kobaj would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).