After fighting with the lack of Z height caused by my hacked addition of an E3D Titan and E3D Lite6 hot end to my MendelMax, I thought to try a vertical X axis, to hopefully move the Titan's filament feed slightly rearward and gain some Z volume on the printer.
Not finding any that were complete, or that didn't require extensive (re)work, I decided to make my own. Surprisingly, it came together and worked perfectly. So now, I share the working design with you!
The Z axis bearing and lead screw mounts are designed for 8mm shafts, and four-screw flanges for attachment. LMK8LUU bearings should work well here, as well as TR8 eBay leadscrews with flanged nuts.
The rod distances (30mm smooth/leadscrew for Z, and 50mm smooth/smooth for X) are the same as in the "standard" Mendel design and do not require customized motor mounts or upper vertex rod stays.
Speaking of the rods, both X and Z are 8mm.
You likely will need a longer belt for the X axis. I've changed X axis parts often enough that I don't actually remember if a stock one will fit.
The X carriage itself has holes designed to securely hold a metal NEMA 17 motor mount. These work well for mounting Titan extruders.
There is no provision for mounting an X axis end stop switch. I'm re-using my normal one for this experiment.
I consider this modification to be very experimental due to its nature. So, caveat emptor, and your mileage may vary.
For Z, I have included an end stop screw mount that attaches to the X carriage's 8mm rods. It's designed to hit this Z end stop mount:
XYZ End Stops for Mendelmax 1.5+
Come to think of it, this will work with the 10mm rod version of these carriages, too!
- the "roundedRect" OpenSCAD module by WilliamAAdams
- the excellent zip-tie LM8UU bearing holder by skarab
I've added them as remixes on the side, and attributed them in the included source code for the parts. You will need skarab's STL file in order to fully render my SCAD source, and you will need to change the file path in the source to point at your version.
I used Prusa's fork of Slic3r, with no supports or rafts, and an imperial threaded rod's unfortunate layer height. Printed on the Solidoodle 4 because I prefer to use ABS for these kind of parts.
Make sure you use high infill for strength, I recommend a bare MINIMUM of 35%. More infill is better.