(Please click I made it button if you did:)
Additional tools needed,
- 2 x 608 bearings (22mm+8mm bore)
- 2 x m8 threaded rods (can be printed as well)
- 8 x m8 nuts
Stock spool holder of original prusa i3 mk2 was not safe enough and I have printed several different type spool holders with or without bearings and all of them had issues.
By the way, I realized that filament has to be replaced easily but at the same time should be secure enough to hold any weight and anysize of spool.
Another thing was, I need to dissamble my printer occasionally so the filament spool holder should easily come out too.
In the original arm design of @JohnnyTheOne he removed the claws at the bottom of the holder arms where it locks to the 6mm frame securely, so arms might float to sides when it is loaded.
So I secured the arms with a second 8mm threaded rod below. Now it is rock solid.
On the upper part of the arms, I stretched one side of the U shaped recess so when there is very few filaments left on the roll, it will prevent it to slip on the edges and stuck. (This happened to me once and clogged the extruder)
Only one design left that I did not give it a try yet, which holds the filamend horizontaly instead of vertical. But I think that design is going to fail because when the filamen is loose on the roll it will fall of from the edges of the roll and might mess things up.
EDIT if you install the spool on the Z frame some people noted that it might create wobbling and resulting poor quality prints. So feet design added. Nonslip stickers recommended for the feet...
EDITFilament sensor mount option added. You can find the filament runout sensor below:
Drum file contains double drums, you need only one of them. Dont forget to delete one of the drums on the slicer. 2 arms and one drum can be printed with a single .gcode file.