Easy Print 40mm Fan Duct for Ultimaker
by Glasswalker, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This is a fan duct I designed for my ultimaker. I needed a fan duct and a new fan, all I could source locally was a 40mm fan. And the other 40mm designs out there were designed in a way that the thicker high-rpm fan I ended up with wouldn't fit under the X carriage block when homing the X axis.
This design is inspired by those other designs, but revised to account for my needs. Hopefully someone else will find it useful.
I completely redesigned this one with several goals in mind:
- Supports thicker fans without worry of it hitting anything on the machine during operation
- Takes a 40mm fan, and ducts it in a 360 degree way around the nozzle while not cooling the nozzle itself too much
- Easy to print, no overhangs, should be a super easy print to do well.
- Structurally robust. Many others I printed sagged when the PLA warmed up, either causing the blower end to touch the nozzle, or to sag into the print. This one is structurally robust, and it adds ziptie hooks on the top to help support the motor weight.
Works wonders for me, I hope it helps you too.
Print vertically (as the STL is arranged) so the fan flange is flat on the print bed.
There are some thin parts in the blower "donut" so that's the most difficult part, as long as your slicer supports proper slowdown and such to allow the parts to extrude clean, it shouldn't be a problem.
Mount your fan using M3 screws, just screw directly into the plastic, it's just slightly small so should allow you to thread into it and tighten it well
Mount on the 2 lefthand side M3 long bolts on the extruder head. The wide vertical protrusion should sit flat against the aluminum plate
Use a ziptie or two from the upper part of the same M3 bolts, to the outside edge of the ziptie loops on the top of the duct, (use the outside rather than the inside so it doesn't get in the way of the X block)
Tighten the ziptie only enough to ensure the bottom surface of the duct stays perfectly level with the print bed (and a couple mm above where the nozzle tip is).
Enjoy good cooling!
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Easy Print 40mm Fan Duct for Ultimaker by Glasswalker is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - Share Alike license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- You must distribute Remixes under the same license as the original.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving Glasswalker a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure Glasswalker would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).