This is hopefully a rocking meta knight, has the ability to move (discussed below). it also was designed to have either the cape or the wings (using magnets allows ease to change between the two).
until I implement something, a small drill or heated pin/needle to make holes in the relevant places, allows the arms move and the shoulder guards.
a bit of clean up where the magnets should go to ensure a flush fit is needed.
4mm diameter by 1mm deep magnets were used, the more powerful the better, i used N42 neodymium magnets with 0.25kg pull they work fine when coupled but the paint reduces the strength a bit, they work fine but the whole thing easily crumbles. so the stronger the better
Heres the blubs i gave to the 3D printing society i am a part of.
Ever since the metaknight amiboo figure from Nintendo was released I wanted one, but it sold out far too quickly and the price inflated beyond its value, so I decided I would get round to making my own.
I eventually got round to it, pulling from a single reference heavily, which was a sculpt from a popular art sharing website deviantart.
Designed in solidworks from the ground up was rewarding, as it isn’t 100% made to do this sort of thing. I should learn a better tool that would allow me to warp things in a freer manor rather than a strict, calculated way. However I overcame those struggles and got a result worth printing, and sharing on thingiverse.
Owning my own 3D printer (very out of shape) put me in a mind-set of the rules come with the process, to reduce supports required. With this sort of project it would be hard to avoid supports, so the printer at the society was used, as it has made some good impressions of its ability and the ease of the service (on my end, I bet those rafts and warping are a nightmare to handle).
Once I got my parts, drilled into it to make places for more magnets (this whole thing builds easier than lego), and places to make the figure pivot. It was the easier way to achieve the best result for me as I could tell if parts we even or sat in the right place and looked right as a whole, so I could go back and edit the files knowing where to place the edits.
Once all this was done it was down to the usual sanding, primer, more sanding and top layer colour painting process.