Heart Shaped Box Project
by mfritz, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
This was a student project for Valentine's Day. The students designed a heart shaped box with a customized lid.
Because the box bottoms will all be the same you can print them ahead to save time.
If you print the boxes at 150%, 100%, and 50% they will nest inside each other.
Posted here is a blank box and lid you can customize, and one with a bow and the name "Ali" I made as a test for my niece. I also made a box top with a real heart on it. The other box tops are student designs.
Here's a link to the blank bank and top on Tinkercad: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/3yAB57h1Ssj-heart-shaped-box/editv2
I printed the lid face up, despite the overhang. This create a somewhat hairy underside but it's concealed, and the top wasn't affected. If this is a concern you can print it with support. With the lid face up there isn't much surface in contact with the build plate. I didn't have any trouble printing in, but you might need a brim so it sticks.
Overview and Background
This is an art / 3D design project for middle school students. The students designed a heart shaped box as a Valentine's Day gift for someone and customized the top. Could also work for other occasions, like Mother's Day.
Since all the box bottoms will be the same you can print them in advance and save time.
You can make the project easier by giving the students the blank box top to start with. Here's a link to the box and box top on tinkercad: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/3yAB57h1Ssj-heart-shaped-box/editv2
A common mistake made by students doing this project is rotating the lid not quite 180 degrees. This will cause problems when printing, so watch out for it.
Lesson Plan and Activity
- Start a new design on Tinkercad
- Drag a heart shape onto the work plane
- Change the dimensions of the heart to 100 mm x 100 mm and a height of 40 mm
- Duplicate the heart and make the duplicate a hole
- Change the dimension of the heart shaped hole to 92 mm x 92 mm and lift it 2 mm above the work plane
- Use Align to center the heart shaped hole and heart
- Group the heart and heart shaped hole and check that you have a box with solid walls, correct if necessary
- Duplicate the heart shaped box to make a lid
- Change the dimensions of the lid to 110 mm x 110 mm x 14 mm
- If you plan to customize the lid flip it over so you can work on the top, if not leave it face down for easier printing
- Customize the lid, you can shapes, pictures, a name, etc.
- Print your box and lid
- Optional - you can decorate with paint, markers, glitter etc.
None, unless you plan to have the students paint or decorate their box. Or want to provide or make gifts to go inside the box.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Heart Shaped Box Project by mfritz is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving mfritz a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure mfritz would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).