Version 2.15 "Not That Final Apparently" - Details in Misc Notes...
Star Wars: Imperial Assault is a pretty great tabletop/board game, but it is lacking in a few areas that could do with improvement. One of those areas is keeping track of groups of identical figures like Storm Troopers or Imperial Guards. I mean, stickers? Really, Fantasy Flight?
So, inspired by The_Lair's version of numbered bases, I fired up Fusion 360 and made a series of base pieces that your Imperial Assault small figures can be slotted into. Each base has a cluster of pips placed at 90° from each-other to denote individuals: 1 by 4 pips for #1, 2 by 4 pips for #2, 3 by 4 pips for #3, and 4 by 4 pips for #4. I highly recommend painting the base and/or pips to keep track of your groups/squads by color.
- Single Base 1x4
- Single Base 2x4
- Single Base 3x4
- Single Base 4x4
- Arrangement of 2x of each base type (8)
- Arrangement of 4x of each base type (16)
I formerly printed with a New Matter MOD-t, so for MOD-t users I have included pre-made gcode files in a ZIP container except for the 16 piece file as it will not fit the MOD-t print bed. For all others, just pop the stl files into your favorite slicer — I recommend Cura — and have at it!
UPDATE v2.15 "NOT THAT FINAL APPARENTLY": I switched printers from the MOD-t to the Monoprice Maker Select v2.1 / Wanhao Duplicator i3 / IIIP-i3 and as a result I have uploaded a new 20 piece STL file for larger 200mm X 200mm build area machines. I'm sure you all could have cobbled it all together on your own, but I'm a tinkerer.
UPDATE v2.14 FINAL: After even more test prints and modifying settings in Cura, I sorted out the MOD-t printing issues (more or less 😏) and readjusted the models back up to the more accurate 25mm measurements. I expect this to be the final version, at least when considering the build properties of the MOD-t printer.
UPDATE v2.13: After testing, I've reduced the inner diameter from 25mm back down to the 24.9mm of the pre-v2.7 versions. I have also trimmed even more material out of the print by widening the bottom hole to 20mm. 25mm versions will be included after I re-upload the MOD-t GCODE files.
UPDATE v2.11: In addition to resizing the interior diameter of the cup, I've removed a 17.5mm section in the cup bottom of the figure base to allow for easy removal of figures (if it is too tight after painting) and to save some filament and print time. Version 2.11 is set to solid infill at Cura's high quality setting; estimated 4hr print time in Cura.
UPDATE v2.8: I also made some mistakes on sizing the interior of the 'cups' that the figures fit into. I had set them to 24.9mm as some of my first versions were too loose for my tastes. I have reconfigured them back to 25mm in the v2.8 update live on 02.03.2017.
UPDATE v2.7: I made some mistakes when generating the first release STL and GCODE files that had it build unneccessary support structures. This has been corrected as of 01.30.2017 v2.7 upload.
The gcode for the MOD-t was compiled with Cura using these settings.
Layer Height: 0.1mm
Wall Thickness: 0.4mm
Top/Bottom Thickness: 0.6mm
Infill Density: 25%
Print Temp: 210 °C
Print Speed: 60mm/s
Travel Speed: 80mm/s
Build Adhesion: Skirt