Ok, this printer's parts are about to get another big revision. First of all, the parts now should be printed with 75% infill instead of 25% infill to increase strength and reduce shrinkage.
There will be a note here after the parts have been revised and uploaded.
Website ○ YouTube ○ Facebook ○ Online Store
Support DarkDragonWing by bookmarking these links and start shopping:
Support DarkDragonWing through Patreon: https://patreon.com/DarkDragonWing
DDW MOD1 3D Printer
- Heated bed
- Aluminum frame
- Auto mesh leveling
- Big build volume 210x270x225mm (XYZ)
- Babystepping, adjust Z height in real time while printing
- Can adjust Z offset accordingly to Babystepping and select store memory in LCD
- Easy cable carrier system
- Needs a clip that only clamps 4mm or less into the bed to get that 210mm in X
Watch assembling videos here:
DIY Fix | Mackey's 3D Printer Modify 2
DIY Fix | Mackey's 3D Printer Modify 3
Designed to be printed at 0.2mm layer height.
Z Axis Frame Assembly has to be changed from 165mm to 155mm.
Highly recommend ABS for printer parts.
How to print ABS:
- You have to make a box for the printer, and inside the box should be about 60C.
- Prepare the bed. Mix 100g of acetone with 1m of 1.75mm ABS filament to make ABS juice.
- Use Foam Poly Brush to apply a thin film of ABS juice to the bed.
- You are ready to print ABS.
- Avoid ABS shrinkage. After the print is done, don't open your printer's box yet, leave the print to cool down inside until the bed is at about 50C or less. After the bed is at 50C or less, remove the print, and there you have it!
Fill Density 5% for:
Fill Density 75% for all other parts.
Parts that need brim:
Parts that need 15% support:
Part that needs 25% support:
Parts that need duplication:
- Use "DDW_M1-3DP_X_Carriage_1mm_Gap_Gauge.stl" to set a gap between the nozzle and the proximity sensor.
- Use some foam from the foam brush for the dust filter.
- Sensor wiring from top to bottom: BLACK - BLUE - BROWN
- Make sure the countersinks on the bed are good so the screws won't be pushing the glass up causing uneven bed.
Firmware: Marlin RC8
DDW_M1-3DP_FIRMWARE_STOCK_Z (for stock Z stepper motors)
DDW_M1-3DP_FIRMWARE_324_Z (for 324MM Integrated Lead Screw Z Stepper Motors)
Pick one 3D printer to start off with:
1x eBay Amazon HICTOP 3D Printer Aluminum Frame 24V
1x eBay GearBest Athorbot A01 3D Printer Aluminum Frame 24V
1x eBay Amazon LJ18A3-8-Z/BX Proximity Sensor 8mm DC 6-36V NPN NO
1x eBay Amazon 2S JST-XH Connector Adapter Plug
2x eBay Amazon Timing Belt Tensioner Spring
1x eBay Amazon V6 Heat Sink
1x eBay Amazon V6 Throat 4.1mm Through
1x eBay Amazon Extruder 0.4mm Nozzle 1.75mm
1x eBay Amazon V6 Fan Case
3x eBay Amazon 30mm x 10mm 24V Fan
2x eBay Amazon 2p Spring Connector
1x eBay Amazon PTFE Teflon Tube 2MM ID 4MM OD For 1.75MM Filament
1x eBay Amazon M3 x 8mm Set Screw for locking Teflon tube
1x Menards 3/32" T x 10" W x 12" L Clear Glass Sheet
1x eBay Amazon 10mm Kapton Tape
1x eBay Amazon Aluminum Y Carriage Anodized Plate Upgrade V2
1x eBay Amazon SC8UU 8mm Linear Ball Bearing
4x eBay Amazon M3 Thumb Nut
2x eBay Amazon Brass T8 Anti-Backlash Spring Loaded Nut
8x eBay Amazon M3 x 12mm Nut & bolt (for Brass T8 Anti-Backlash Spring Loaded)
2x eBay Amazon 8x12x3.5mm Metal Shielded Bearing MR128-ZZ (for Z lead screw top mounts)
2x eBay Amazon GE4E 4x12x5mm Spherical Bearing
2x AliExpress 17HS4401S-M8x8-324MM Integrated Lead Screw Z Stepper Motor
4x eBay Amazon Linear Bearings LM8UU 8MM
4x eBay Amazon Build Platform Glass Retainer
7x eBay Amazon JST Plug Pair
eBay Amazon Loctite Nut & Bolt Threadlocker 242 BLUE
Harbor Freight 4 Pc Adjustable Wrench Set
Harbor Freight 5 in. Curved Jaw Locking Pliers
Harbor Freight 4.8 Volt 1/4 in. Cordless Screwdriver Kit
Harbor Freight 36 Pc 3 in. Screwdriver Bit Set
Harbor Freight Glass Cutter
eBay Amazon J-B Weld 33106 0.2 oz. Superweld Super Glue, Clear
Arduino for editing/updating firmware
Cura 15.04.6 for coding 3D parts
FreeCAD for designing 3D parts
- Problem: If your HICTOP printer is making random weird moves and shutting down when using SD card, it means that part of the LCD screen is touching the metal piece that is touching the Y step motor. If you have the old LCD screen that is all metal, you will have this problem. For your information, HICTOP now provides the metal cover that comes with plastic nuts to separate the LCD screen and the metal cover to fix this problem.
- Solution: Remove the LCD screen from the printer frame and put it aside. Avoid the LCD ribbon wires touching the step motor wires.
- Problem: From April 2017, HICTOP now has a built-in SD card reader on the main board. Thus, the SD card reader on the LCD is no longer usable.
- Solution: Buy eBay Amazon MKS Base V1.5 3D Printer Controller Board to replace it.
- If your converter's fan is making a loud noise, simply replace the fan with a new one here eBay Amazon 24V 60x60x15mm Fan.
Uneven Bed ABS
- Problem: If you experience uneven bed when printing ABS out of nowhere, in this case the proximity sensor's temperature matters. If the sensor is cool during the preheat, given that the X carriage is 100mm or more above the bed, when the sensor is doing G29 or probing the bed, the cool sensor will get warmer and warmer throughout the bed and the sensor will give out inaccurate numbers as its temperature changes.
- Solution: Do Auto Home, and then preheat ABS. In this case the sensor should be about 15mm above the bed and getting warmed up by the bed's temperature. Once the sensor starts to prob the bed, its temperature shouldn't change wildly and it should give out accurate numbers.
- Problem: ABS filament is bubbling when extruding.
- Solution: Bake the ABS filament in the oven at 175F for 30 minutes and then try printing, or 1 hour or 2 hours and then try printing. It really depends on how much the moisture is in the filament. The more moisture, the longer the bake time will have to be.
PLA Clogging Nozzle, Heat Creep
- Problem: PLA keeps clogging at the throat even with new nozzle and new throat.
- Solution 1: Don't use these fan ducts, only use them when printing ABS:
- Solution 2: If it's still clogging, check the heat sink cooling fan, you may need to replace it.
- Solution 3: If it's still clogging, try blowing cool air through the printer.
- Solution 4: If it's still clogging, try printing at a lower temperature like 200C or 190C.
- Solution 5: If it's still clogging, throw away your filament, and buy a better quality filament.
- Problem: Proximity sensor wire(s) get broken inside. After a while these wires do get broken especially around the extruder flexing (the first curve).
- Problem: It might even be serious like it would actually blow up your main board.
- Solution: Buy new proximity sensor.
Heat Drops Randomly
- Problem: Heat drops and the printer stops.
- Solution: Check the heat sensor wires, they might be broken inside somewhere.