This is a slightly modified version of the Money Spinner by GeoffB. I had a lot of 20 euro cent coins lying around, and wanted to use those. This is a good way to put some copper coins you have lying around since your last trip to use.
Instead of selecting from a short list of coins, now you have to put in the size of your favourite coin directly. Look it up at Wikipedia, do a web search, or use a calliper. The pre-set size is for 20 euro cent coins. For the centre, you have to use a 608-sized bearing, i.e. 8 mm × 22 mm × 7 mm.
When you use euro coins, you can make yours a symbol of international cooperation. Mine is now using coins from
- the Netherlands
Nine coins, nine countries! The last three are on the inside.
I also added the bearing caps from Arondite’s Fidget Toy Comfort Spinner
You may have to adjust your scale slightly to make the bearing and coins fit, especially if your printer is not calibrated too precisely. I had to use 102 %.
Included are three variants of the spinner as STLs:
- One with three spokes for three 20 euro cent coins. This is the one i have printed.
- Then i wanted it BIG. That can’t be made with the customizer, as the coin stacks are higher than the bearing. For that you should use 28 20 euro cent coins, in seven spokes à four coins. The one printed in red.
- The last one is for Chinese 1 jiao renminbi coins, 3 spokes à 4 mao.
To install the coins, a vice comes in handy. Also one or two coins slightly smaller than the ones you printed the spinner out for. (E.g. 10 euro cent coins for a 20 euro cent spinner.)
I pressed in the four coins of one arm like this:
- Press in two coins lightly, one on the top one on the bottom on a table with the palm of your hand
- Put the smaller coins on top of these two coins and press in these four coins with the vice
- Open the vice, the two small coins fall out
- Put in the other two right-sized coins and press them in with the vice
Design files and history can be found at github, in a directory of my 3d printing repo there.
I had problems with the first version of the € 5.60 spinner STL file. I have now updated that. This version prints fine.