This is a modification of the GoPro Sketching Stand that I created earlier to add LED lights to illuminate the drawing. See a video of it here and here.
- GoPro Camera and included mounting bracket (tested with Hero5 Session)
- 3 1/8"x1/8" x 12" steel-plated rods
- #5 metric hex nut that fits GoPro mounting screw
- Battery case with switch that fits 2 AA batteries
- 2 11mm wide LED lights
- 12" each of black and red electrical wiring (single thread)
- Heat-shrink tubing
- Soldering iron and solder
- 3 8mmx3mm Neodymium Disc Magnets Super Magnets 07045
- 2 AAA batteries
See section below on inserting magnets while printing.
- Bend 2 of the steel rods 90° at 6"
- Cut 3rd steel rod to 8.25"
. Thread the red and black wiring into holes that go into the center of the bracket.
- Insert the first LED light into a seat and solder red and black wires to its leads (red to longer wire, black to shorter wire). Trim LED leads
- Insert second LED light into other seat and wire short length of wire to leads from first LED to second LED, matching the red to long lead, and black to short lead. Solder and trim connections.
- Thread wires through heat-shrink tubing and heat tubing to shrink it.
- Thread cable mounts onto heat shring tubing
- Thread cut metal rod through cable mounts and into square socket in GoPro bracket.
- Thread 2 1" lengths of heat-shring tubing on leads from battery pack.
- Cut and solder leads from battery pack to wires from camera mount assembly.
- Place mount top on top of wiring
- Insert rod from camera and bent rods into stand.
- Slide battery back (with batteries) into stand.
- Insert GoPro camera into housing mount.
Optional LED Tally light
- Print the top model with the hole in the center
- Solder an additional LED light to the wiring to add an additional tally light that will light up on top of the mount when on.
- Secure top mount with a zip-tie
- Follow GoPro settings instructions below to setup your GoPro camera.
The metal rods stay in the base assembly with magnets that need to be inserted in the model while the print is in progress.
While printing, you will need to pause the printing at two points to insert the magnets. You do not want the magnets to protrude over the print layer as they might hit the print head.
- When the center is about to be covered (~7.2mm)
- When the side mounts are about to be covered (~10.5mm)
Most print heads are not attracted to the magnets, but if your print head is, you may need to glue the magnets in place before continuing the print after pausing.
The 3MF files with the base geometry are included (*.geometry.3mf) if you want to change the models.
- Open the *.geometry.3mf files in Microsoft 3D Builder on Windows 10
- Modify the basic shapes models
- Save the model as .3MF
- Create a New scene in 3D builder
- Insert the *.geometry.3mf file into the scene
- Subtract and merge shapes as necessary to create the final models.
- Save the model as .3MF or .stl
Resize the purple elements to change the size of magnets before subtracting from green and blue base assembly.
Configure the GoPro Settings using a GoPro mobile App
- Video Field of View (FOV): Linear
- Auto-Rotation: Down