For complete model print 2x Front_Flap, 2x Slider and 2x Handle. and one of everything else.
Everything prints without supports with exception of Outer_shell both back and front. For Me, Outer shells and Flaps required also adding 1mm brim.
- Front_Flap, Front_Shell, Outer_shell_front, Outer_shell_back printed in white PLA
- Lens printed in Transparent PLA with 40% honeycomb infill, 2 layers on bottom, 3 perimeters and no top layers
- Everything else printed in black PLA.
Whole of Wheatley printed in 0.10 resolution, Box/Stand printed with 0.20
For electronics (some soldering required):
- 1206 Blue LED,
- 51 Ohm resistor,
- SS13T40 sliding switch,
- 2032 battery,
- BH2032 battery holder (like this one http://imgur.com/oJofXZJ)
- Some wires to connect.
You can of course use different parts but it was designed with these parts in mind.
If you want to skip electronics I'd recommend printing Core_right_B instead of regular one, and battery_filler to fill space where battery would be, and printing lens in blue instead of transparent.
Order of assembly:
- Solder resistor, LED and 2 wires, fed wires through holes in LED_plate. Glue LED (hotglue or CA) in center of LED_plate (marked by 2 small bumps).
- With CA, glue together LED_plate with Lens (make sure to keep them aligned)
- Solder one wire to battery holder second one to the switch and use another bit of wire to connect switch with battery (keep in mind polarity of the LED and battery).
- Use bit of hot glue to secure switch in designated slot in Core_right. If LED lights up proceed to next steps
- With CA, glue Lens and battery holder to the Core_right.
- Glue Core_left to the Core_right
- Glue Core to the Outer_shell_back
- Glue each slider to a Front_Flap ( It's recomended to sand with fine grid sandpaper both sides of slider+flap to assure smoth sliding)
- Place both sliders in position then glue Outer_shell_front to the Core (make sure to not get any glue on the sliders)
- Glue Front_shell to the Core
- Glue both handles in the notches of Outer_shell
- Enjoy completed Wheatley.
Box/Stand was designed to snap together with 6 2x5mm round neodymium magnets. When gluing those in, make sure to align their polarity so box can stick together to secure Wheatley inside.
Alternative (more accurate) handle model by buster2006: