6/27/17- Wrote program for controlling robot with potentiometers using the potentiometer setup from the collection. Check it out!
6/4/17- Video by Erica_86 https://youtu.be/XhCFEov6GUg
5/21/17- Uploaded a redesigned version of this, EZER
5/7/17- Updated Arduino Program.
5/6/17 - New youtube video https://youtu.be/8H3fbxzmF9w
4/27/17- Designed another gearbox for this! 66:1
4/9/17- Designed a EE Gripper.
4/6/17-Added the End Effector holder from my modular robotic arm "thing" to this "thing" so you don't have to download both "things".
3/26/17- Uploaded Arduino sketch that i have been controlling this with. I have improved this by making it do calculations when the joint has arrived at a point, and calculating all the angles it has to move to before it begins moving. when using XYZ coordinates it will move in a straight line. The homing is done by just moving the joint to its max left position then max right so the stepper will skip steps until its centered. i used 1/4 stepping on my stepper driver for this.
3/18/17- Uploaded New Rotating Base
3/14/17- Uploaded the Arduino Program that I'm using to control this. it uses inverse kinematics to determine the position of J3 from XYZ.
3/12/17- V3 parts - Chamfered the hole that the pins fit into so there isn't extra material from bridging that needs removal.
3/9/17- V2 - Fixed issues with too much clearance between the ring gears and ring holders. Made all of the ring holders .1mm smaller, leaving .1 of clearance between the ring gear and ring holder.
Where's Everything Else???
In This Collection you will find:
- All other related parts for this project
- Future Updates to this Project
- All User Submitted Remix's
- Click that watch button to get notifications on future uploads!
Special Instructions For The Gearbox(s):
1.) Pick your favorite gearbox from the collection
2.) Print out all 4 ring gears, the "4 Module planet gears", the "One piece sun" and "Sun gear #4"
- The Gearboxes that are to be used with this joint are located in the "Robotic Arm" collection.
- Don't get confused by other similar gearboxes that I have made, if they are compatible, they will be listed in the collection, link is above.
- The gearboxes are used to support the joint, like emmets gear bearing, but they also drive the joint, so they are necessary!
Running the gearbox without it pressed into the arm is a good way to wear it in so it doesn't rob torque from your stepper, but it can also take the the planet gears out of alignment if the rings open up and skip a gear. if the gears aren't arranged as pictured above the gearbox will wear itself out rather quickly.
A and B? (Compatibility)
- In the above picture, the parts called "bottom" are a "B" style connection, and the parts labeled "top" are an "A" Style connection.
- The End Effector Holder is a "B" style connection.
- Connections with a stepper motor mount are considered "A" Style connections.
- It's an unavoidable compatibility problem that arose from the recent simplification of the design. Opposite's attract, "A" style connections only mate with "B" style connections and "B" style connections only mate with "A" style connections.
- (2) 6/32's or 4mm bolts 55mm long (2 Per Joint)
- (4) short 3mm bolts to hold the stepper motor in place (4 Per Stepper)
- Nema 17 for all
- Don't buy cheap Nema 17 motors, they will get hot and melt the gears!
Bendy Bend Bend:
This arm rotates 230 degrees before colliding with itself in the cad program but it is actually more like 229 degrees real life.
Other Important Info:
- I Included the Fusion 360 Project and CAD .STEP files with this.
- Feel free to create your own modifications and parts for this project, and if you do, make sure you create a remix and upload them, then I'll add them to my main collection so the whole community can share them! Thanks!
Show Your Work!
- Make a "make" and show everyone what you made! (make? :0) Everyone will thank you for it!
For More Cool Projects and Upgrades, Don't forget to Follow Me on Thingiverse and Subscribe to my Youtube Channel
Gear Down For What?
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.