Hex screw bit holder enclosure for 12 bits with rotating clip
by MaksDampf, published
Liked ByView All
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
- introduced variants for spring washers ("f" variant) or 3d printed springs.
- introduced variant with clip ("f"variant) or without ("h" variant
- made a video: https://youtu.be/OAvfz_vsHrU
- base is the same.
- Reduced the cogging hooks and groove size. They were much too large and required a long spring or considerable looseness to work. New design uses straight 45° degree cogging hooks and groove about 1mm deep.
- Integrated the springy part into the Clip due to less springiness required by the new hook and groove.
- more resistant clip that better holds on to workwear pockets
Bit holder for 12x hex bits.
My problem with other bitholder designs on Thingiverse was that they were either too stiff, or that bits kept falling off. Most commercial designs don't have these problems, but have a complicated full enclosure with live hinges that break too easily.
I fixed these shortcomings by using several design features:
- seperate 'springy' clamps to hold each bit
- a rotating clip that secures all bits from falling off, even when this thing is seriously rocked.
- the hinges are made of two sping-loaded M4 screws
The hexes are fairly stiff when printed in PLA 100micron on my UM2.
Your experience on other printers may vary, so i included the Rhino .3dm file for you to edit and remix as you want.
Prints well in ABS or PLA.
Please do not use a brim! It is very complicated to get that off (accidentally printed it with one).
As the adhesion surface is pretty big, you can probably print it without a raft as well.
Mount the parts together with spring-loaded screws
I use M4 DIN 7380 half-round head screws with a 2.5mm hex and a length of 10mm.
Use rubber O-rings 3x1.5 or a few spring washers to get the necessary spring load and travel for the clip mechanism.
You don't need to tap the holes. Just use a little force until the screw grips into the plastic and then tighten them.
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingPrint Fulfilment
Order a print of this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
Hex screw bit holder enclosure for 12 bits with rotating clip by MaksDampf is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving MaksDampf a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure MaksDampf would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).