OpenSCAD Turbine Propeller Generator
by CorrugatorSupercilii, published
Use This Project
Give a Shout Out
If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.Print Thing Tag
Something that can automatically generate a turbine or propeller? This OpenSCAD script does just that! Generate very quickly a parametrised turbine or propeller. Arguably the best one on thingiverse?
It is quite complete, here I list its features:
- Clockwise/ Counter Clockwise rotation
- Leading edge of blade can be curve (an Arc) or straight. A module is created to generate arcs (OpenSCAD can't draw Arc primitives)
- Trailing edge blade can curve inwards (I call it 'convex') or outward ('concave') and this can be defined with an exponentiation function (you decide the base or power)
- There's an offset parameter, allowing you to prescribe, when curvature begins (applied)...
- Of course, number of blades, length, height, thickness, stem radius, shaft radius, etc...
I've uploaded a few samples of what was generated. Including photos of actual prints.
The smallest print is a micro wind turbine generator, with 1mm thickness blade, which works very well (^_^)b
From experimentation, the larger prints tends to be worst in terms of balance, for use as fan, best use 'concave' blades, as a turbine, best use 'convex', print as structurally light as possible. Larger doesn't always mean better.
Low blade pitch (<40deg) definitely requires support for prints, any other way to print without support???
Export from OpenSCAD CSG format to FreeCAD for further edits...
Preview (F5) can be very slow and even freezes OpenSCAD (so always hit the save button!), so set your rendering layer height to x10 of print height, when previewing your design!
NB: Within the script, concave and convex selection, required you to block comment out either, so take note!
NB: I'm no expert in turbine theory and design, so feel free to correct and improve (mansplain) if you like , and please post your updates! Thanks!
Upgrade this Thing with Thingiverse AppsCustomization
Edit, personalize, or revise this ThingTools and Utilities
Repair, slice, or enhance this Thing
OpenSCAD Turbine Propeller Generator by CorrugatorSupercilii is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial license.
What does this mean?
- You must attribute (give credit) to the creator of this Thing.
- Remixing or Changing this Thing is allowed.
- Commercial use is not allowed.
Show Some Love
Say thanks by giving CorrugatorSupercilii a tip and help them continue to share amazing Things with the Thingiverse community.Tip Designer
We're sure CorrugatorSupercilii would love to see what you've printed. Please document your print and share a Make with the community.
To post a Make simply visit this Thing again and click I Made One to start uploading your photo. It’s even easier to post a Make via the Thingiverse Mobile app (available via Google Play and Apple App Store).