Update (4/26/17) - Haven't had much time to work on the project these last couple weeks, busy busy. Added a TinkerCad public link for those requesting access to the files. I will continue to add files to that link as the project progresses. I'm on vacation next week so I'll probably have a chance to work on it a bit more.
- TinkerCad public share: https://tinkercad.com/things/cYHTzPqzv9R
- I am currently printing the PSU enclosure but I really don't care for the design at the moment. I am going to get it in place so I can get my relays and whatnot wired up and i will redesign it after I've accomplished all functionality on the project.
UPDATE (4/16/17) - Migrated all the MK2 components to the new frame!
- All Frame assembly and kinematic relative parts updated to the current working versions.
- Added PSU Lower, LCD and Temp control panels (still figuring out how I want to complete the PSU enclosure and need to add a cover assembly.
- Added some photos of the current build
UPDATE (3/30/17) - I now have most of the extrusions cut and assembled and multiple revisions to many of the chassis parts. These may still require adjustments since it isn't fully assembled but wanted to get what I have posted. I expect to be able to migrate the functional components of the printer to the new chassis within the next few days and will upload some progress pics.
-I remixed the reinforced Y-stepper mount from sipo75 to attach to the 3030. Still need to work on some end caps for the extrusions, and a modified X-axis end on the non motor side that allows for belt tensioning from the extruder facing side rather than the outside since the frame blocks those screws.
- I decided to skip the removable front frame assembly for a couple reasons. Keeping it integrated offers a great location for the display and some other goodies. It also allows me to reduce the amount of aluminum extrusion needed as well as the number of parts needed, and potential of intruding additional points for rattles and noise.
I got my Prusa i3 MK2 in January and it has been amazing. One of the reasons I bought a 3D printer is that I love tinkering, so tinker I shall.
What problems am I'm trying to solve?
One of the major drawbacks of the i3 design when in need of climate control (ambient temp & humidity), is the open frame. I wanted a way to enclose my printer so that I could confidently print more exotic or sensitive filaments. Many existing enclosures can accomplish that but they use more space than I have available (it's on my desk) and I didn't want to relocate the printer. The other issue is that the electronics and power supply are also subject to the same ambient temps. I believe they are still within their operating range, but I feel keeping them cool by removing them from the "hot zone" will increase longevity and potentially performance as well.
The frame design on the i3 leaves room for movement when high on the z-axis, and it is difficult to square this dimension as well. Adding a spool of filament on the Prusa spool holder makes this much worse.
The cables sag over your prints. This appears to have been addressed in the new MK2S and I imagine that it will do the trick, but I feel that the new placement of my electronics (renderings don't show this yet) will help with this issue.
- I didn't have any awesome print projects to work on at the time - issue solved!
So far I've only ordered the supplies and put together this basic rendering in Tinkercad . I really would have prefered to do this in Fusion 360 but I just can't seem to get the hang of it and didn't want to spend the rest of the year learning so I could pursue this project. If anyone knows some great resources for learning Fusion 360 I would love to see them in the comments.
I have only printed the modified X-Axis stepper side so far, and I've already changed that twice. I will continue to post updates, pics and STL's as the project continues. I am hoping to complete everything by mid to late April 2017, since some hardware won't be here for a few weeks.
I will be adding in designs for the electronics housing & PSU housing that will be actively cooled with a couple 12omm PC fans after I get the frame assembled. I will likely do the side panels in acrylic on the cover, using TPU printed mounts that slide into the extrusion channels. I will also reuse the Sorbothane dampers that I have on the MK2 currently for vibration dampening.
I would love to see comments, suggestions and criticisms in the comments so I can evolve the design with any input from the community, thanks!