UPDATE March 28th: Added option for stronger V2 idler (with toggleable handle and additional fixation screw) in CUSTOMIZER
This is a remix of schlotzz's compact direct drive bowden extruder. All credit goes to schlotzz for the awesome bavarian engineering on this thing!
The design is highly customizable and works with MK7 or MK8 (and more) hobbed pulleys and features several mounting options! Some parametrization samples can be seen in picture 2.
This remix includes several improvements and adaptations:
- CUSTOMIZER optimized (just open the customizer and generate a bowden extruder fitting your specific components!)
- Different mount options available (Just a simple selection in the CUSTOMIZER toggles between no mount adapter, ANET A8 mount and parametrizable mounting bracket)
- Option to add handle for manual tension release
- Easily adjustable to any bowden pushfit ranging from M5 to M10
Please use the CUSTOMIZER to generate your suiting extruder! The files attached to this thing serve as examples only!
NOTE: If you switch your driving gear, you have to adapt your steps per mm of the extruder accordingly! Further informations and instructions regarding this topic can be found in the reprap wiki (click to jump to corresponding section).
Supports highly recommended for ANET A8 mount option!
All other versions do not require supports.
- Use CUSTOMIZER to adapt mount to your specific hardware! Just go through all settings here...
- Slice model and print base plate and idler separately (supports for version with ANET A8 mount required)
- Use 2mm drill to clean filament path on base plate
- Screw in your pushfit bowden connector
- Attach 608zz bearing to idler and secure it with a M5 washer and a M5x10 screw
- If using the ANET A8 mount: screw the mount to the top right of the printer frame (use stock screw and an additional M3x18 with suiting nut)
- Attach NEMA17-Motor with three M3x8 (or M3x6) allen head screws (use countersunk holes)
- Attach idler to base plate with a M3x16 screw (Avoid to much tension to allow idler moving freely)
- Fasten hobbed pulley on NEMA17 stepper motor shaft. Align its position to the holes the filament is running trough
- Insert M3 nut into base plate slot
- Use M3 screw of suitable length with washers and a spring to apply pressure oan filament (For ANET A8 users: You can use the spring of the stock extruder! I added some M3 nuts in the core of the spring to keep it centered.)