Loading

Hey! This thing is still a Work in Progress. Files, instructions, and other stuff might change!

Unregulated Box Mod (WIP)

by superbub112, published

Unregulated Box Mod (WIP) by superbub112 Apr 2, 2017

Liked By

View All

Give a Shout Out

If you print this Thing and display it in public proudly give attribution by printing and displaying this tag.

Print Thing Tag

Thing Statistics

2044Views 236Downloads Found in Electronics

Summary

Update 5/2/17: I'm probably going to redo the design to make it more 3d printer friendly.

This is a work in progress, and I do not expect anyone to print this right now. I'd almost say don't print this at all since I'm not done. This upload is only here to show off what I'm working on and to get some feedback.

My buddies and I used to create box mods in Altoids tins back in freshman year of college. I had thought about designing and printing one for awhile and decided to go ahead and do it.

Biggest challenges I'm facing:
-Battery contacts
-Battery and battery door fitment
-Ergonomics

The battery contacts are meant to be made with thin sheets of copper, but aluminum foil would work as well (I imagine). I know I can buy battery sled and even just the contacts themselves, but I wanted to try my hand at making them from copper to save money potentially.

The battery door starts life as a solid model with no vents. This way, I can add whatever design I choose. I have many other variations of the door (the one shown is mine) and I will upload the rest once the project comes closer to completion. The tolerance for door fitment on the device is tight. I shaved material off of the door to make it go on but it's still tight. I made have to rethink and rework the design. Any suggestions here are appreciated.

The box was made with that rounded side to improve ergonomics but I had missed a few key points. The box is very small and a little awkward to hold because of this. I recommend having small hands to use this. The other issue is the sharp corners on the other side of the box. This issue can very easily be rectified.

The parts used to complete the box are:
-Low profile 510 connector (22mm)
-Momentary Switch (12mm)
-Mosfet (IRLB3034PBF)
-15k Ohm resistor
-Wire and shrink wrap tubing
-Copper sheets (Brass or aluminum would work fine)

Print Settings

Printer:

Alunar m506 (anet a6)

Rafts:

No

Supports:

Yes

Resolution:

.1

Infill:

20%


Notes:

70mm/s
Took 4.xx hours
The supports are a pain to remove.

How I Designed This

Designed by making a model of every part I would need to create a vaporizer, then I made a shell around it in 123D. I then looked for possible problem areas and create 3 variations. OpenPV_v4 was the point where I said "Looks good. Let's print this puppy!"

More from Electronics

view more

All Apps

Auto-magically prepare your 3D models for 3D printing. A cloud based 3D models Preparing and Healing solution for 3D Printing, MakePrintable provides features for model repairing, wall thickness...

App Info Launch App

Kiri:Moto is an integrated cloud-based slicer and tool-path generator for 3D Printing, CAM / CNC and Laser cutting. *** 3D printing mode provides model slicing and GCode output using built-in...

App Info Launch App
KiriMoto Thing App

With 3D Slash, you can edit 3d models like a stonecutter. A unique interface: as fun as a building game! The perfect tool for non-designers and children to create in 3D.

App Info Launch App

Quickly Scale, Mirror or Cut your 3D Models

App Info Launch App
Top